Author Topic: where O where did 2nd gear go  (Read 5383 times)

Offline sisterearth

• OneLoveOneWorld
  • Global Moderator
  • LoveMyBus SuperSecret Agent
  • in each of us there's a little of all of us
where O where did 2nd gear go
« on: April 26, 2013, 10:04:56 AM »
Hey so I got my 1st drive in today, and it seems to not want to go into second gear, it will, but not easily as 1st, and 3rd, it sort of winds down and sputters, I am up to speed, definitely sound and feel telling me time to shift, but it's just not wanting to. So I have a few questions. 1. What would cause one gear to baulk? 2. What kind of long or short term or any damage would I do driving it in 1st whining a bit high, or putting in 3rd too soon? I know it has been awhile since I have driven a bus, so I do have to get my bus groove back, but the problem is not getting into the right space/gear, the problem is it doesn't really want to do 2nd. Any help on any questions would be great
  • Uncle Irie-1973
you are beautiful

Offline Beetle

• Global Moderator
  • LoveMyBus Radical
Re: where O where did 2nd gear go
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2013, 03:09:30 AM »
Beetle
'69 Bus (Bessie)

Offline sisterearth

• OneLoveOneWorld
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2013, 03:19:52 AM »
Hey thanks! I'll show this to my friend who may be able to help out. I did venture out again and did get him in second much easier, contacted the previous owner who said the clutch is new, I have all the paperwork and he experienced the same thing, seemed more I drove him the easier it went but there is an issue there, thanks beetle!!  thumb7
  • Uncle Irie-1973
you are beautiful

Offline giz59

• LoveMyBus Recruit
  • Long Live the Vw's...
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2013, 11:36:05 AM »
Trust me , that is one of several BIG discussion topics on EVERY bus site! the general consensus among those who know is , sadly ,live with it , it does seem to be a built in manuf. prob. One thing, when u last change your g/box oil and what you put in ? also ,have the bushes on the rod been done ,and ! if you are running a standard shift stick( notice my use of American vernacular !<good eh !) the "up -front " will also be worn ,if u have an aftermarket shifter, the base plate may need adjusting, could drone on ,there are other "wear-out" parts , but I usually start with oil and go from there ,hope this helps.
  • 1971 bay

Offline sisterearth

• OneLoveOneWorld
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2013, 04:13:01 AM »
 :102: ok I am ashamed to say the only thing I know about driving a bus is putting gas in it....all this info from you guys I'm sharing with my friend who can help.  Thanks, I will pass this along as well
  • Uncle Irie-1973
you are beautiful

Offline giz59

• LoveMyBus Recruit
  • Long Live the Vw's...
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2013, 08:18:07 AM »
unlikely a clutch prob, or methinks you would experience difficulty with all gears , BUT, one never knows without being there , re your comment >>I know how to put gas in it < sometimes(a lot of times! ) I wish that is all I done ! rather than spending all hours under mine >currently rewiring mine >doh ! >best wishes.
  • 1971 bay

Offline sisterearth

• OneLoveOneWorld
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2013, 05:09:58 AM »
 :p6: thanks!
  • Uncle Irie-1973
you are beautiful

Offline giz59

• LoveMyBus Recruit
  • Long Live the Vw's...
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2013, 12:50:48 PM »
If any of you peeps have not latched onto a camper site called "The Samba" you ought to ,its American ,its fit ,its really really busy with sooooo much good guys giving free ace advice ,no kiddin".
  • 1971 bay

Tags: help sites