Author Topic: 1st time owner needs help please!  (Read 2603 times)

Offline Emma

• LoveMyBus Newbie
  • Long Live the Vw's...
1st time owner needs help please!
« on: July 22, 2012, 06:56:53 AM »
I bought a '77 van in the fall, drove it for 3 months and then it broke down on the side of the road. I had it towed to a shop and they told me that the cam gear rivets were loose, but that i could most likely get away with driving it for a while before i had to fix it. Being short on cash, I decided if I could wait to fix it, then i would, until I could better afford it. So they replaced a valve cover gasket and put oil in it and then called me to take it home. A block away from my house it died again. I called back, mechanic came to look at it and said that I now need a whole new engine, the rivets had been sheared off.
So my question is, easy enough to fix? Or not worth it? At this point, I am also trying to move, and working overtime to save up some money, wondering if this is a project that I can realistically take on right now.
HELP! :imnew:
thanks!
Emma
  • 1977 van "Danny"

Offline Beetle

• Global Moderator
  • LoveMyBus Radical
Re: 1st time owner needs help please!
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2012, 03:28:41 PM »
So my question is, easy enough to fix? Or not worth it?
That's a nice bus, Emma!!
I'd definitely keep it and do the work when you can afford it.
Beetle
'69 Bus (Bessie)

Offline rfbraunjr

• LoveMyBus Newbie
  • Long Live the Vw's...
Re: 1st time owner needs help please!
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2012, 04:17:43 AM »
That's some mechanic you found there.  Emma, this is a case where a second opinion could be worthwhile.  Case-in-point, why would any self-respecting mechanic that was worth his salt, send you away with a timing gear ready to let go of the cam?  Another point to ponder is how he could report such a finding without disassembling the engine? 

The best thing about these engines is that they'll run forever.  My advise to you is to find a reputable mechanic that is familiar with VW engines.  I think you'll be happy you did, because new engines are expensive. :bangyourhead:
  • 1976 Bus, 1986 Vanagon

Tags: