Author Topic: Wanting to put a different engine in my '71 bus  (Read 4552 times)

Offline seanpoissant

• LoveMyBus Recruit
Wanting to put a different engine in my '71 bus
« on: June 07, 2012, 07:16:12 PM »
Hey all,

I have a new 1600cc engine, brand new block, heads cylinders the whole shebang, but these engines are as we all know severely underpowered for the vehicle weight which is probably 90% of the reason there are so many issues that keep cropping up.  I would love to take my bus across canada this year on our trip but i just don't trust it to make the journey so I am wondering if anyone has put other engines into their buses and if so how much and how hard is it to do.  Send me your thoughts!
Keep on busin'

Offline TexasAirCooler

• Global Moderator
  • LoveMyBus Elite Radical
Re: Wanting to put a different engine in my '71 bus
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2012, 12:31:34 PM »
Are you talking about a larger type 1 motor or a type 3 or 4? A 1776 would be a good choice if you stay with a T1.
Terry

'65 bus

TexasAirCoolers

Offline Gliderider

• LoveMyBus Newbie
  • Long Live the Vw's...
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2012, 07:45:47 AM »
I just put a 1776 in my 69 (pepe) bus, I am running dual webers, full flow with a filter and cooler, new trans and clutch, it is a bunch better than the old single port. I will be pulling a small utility trailer with camping gear, if you go this route I recommend putting a sand seal and pulley and a good breather.
  • 1969 Transporter (PEPE)
"All that is gold does not glitter,
not all those who wander are lost;
the old that is strong does not wither,
deep roots are not reached by the frost."

J.R.Tolkien

Offline luvmybus

• LoveMyBus Newbie
  • Long Live the Vw's...
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2012, 04:15:31 AM »
I just put a 1776 in my 69 (pepe) bus, I am running dual webers, full flow with a filter and cooler, new trans and clutch, it is a bunch better than the old single port. I will be pulling a small utility trailer with camping gear, if you go this route I recommend putting a sand seal and pulley and a good breather.
Sounds like a great set up.  Could you let us know the source of your engine and approx costs.. Did you install motor yourself?   Thanks for the post and info.
  • 1971 Westy

Offline Gliderider

• LoveMyBus Newbie
  • Long Live the Vw's...
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2012, 08:43:01 AM »
yes I did the install myself, I replaced the engine, trans and clutch. I have put about 2000 miles on since I got it back on the road, I bought the engine, trans, and clutch from a JCS in L.A. and I went down and heard it run on the test stand before I picked it up. the cost was around 5500 usd.
The good....
does exactly what I wanted it to do lots of torque pulls the 700 lb trailer easy
idles well
The not so good...
no warranty
no choke
leaks oil (I suspect the stock oil cooler, I will be resealing the entire motor this winter)
no lower tins
things I would do different...
single carb with choke (I will be changing this this winter)
do the full flow mod myself (I dont like where they drilled and tapped the case)
super cool tins installed by them ( I did this after I got it home and I had to replace the tubes with spring tension tubes)

I am a Honda Marine tech so I have experience building motors, maybe I should have built this one myself, maybe next time.
things I have already done...
replaced the POS Empi throw out bearing.
installed super cool tins
remote oil filter and cooler Areoquip lines
custom breather, vented valve covers, krankvents
sand seal

all in all I am happy with it

Mike

• 1969 Transporter (PEPE)
"All that is gold does not glitter,
not all those who wander are lost;
the old that is strong does not wither,
deep roots are not reached by the frost."

J.R.Tolkien

Offline luvmybus

• LoveMyBus Newbie
  • Long Live the Vw's...
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2012, 05:36:51 PM »
Mike,
Your work and knowledge is a great source for our beginnings with a 41 year old classic.  Thanks for the info and ideas.  Do you ever post pictures or document your projects?  Please do if possible for us newbies.  Again, great post and thanks. 
Mark
  • 1971 Westy

Tags: