Author Topic: Just pulled Engine;next come gas tank  (Read 4406 times)

Offline LarsenAA

• LoveMyBus Recruit
Just pulled Engine;next come gas tank
« on: May 23, 2012, 01:27:48 PM »
It has been a while since I have posted anything on here, so I thought I would and get some advice as well.  I have a '69 baywindow deluxe bus and I just pulled the engine out of it all by myself, which is an awesome feeling for a non mechanical guy. The purpose for taking it out is to see if I can clean my gas tank out a little bit.  It sat for about 25 years before I got it, so there is bound to be stuff in there since it keeps plugging up filters. I should mention that the J.Clancy Magoo was running last year until it ran out of gas and then it wouldn't start again. The fuel gauge also doesn't work, so I may be able to fix/replace that.  From the looks of the filters, I would have to say there is gunk in there. I know about the ratwell's page on how to recondition them, but can anyone shed some light on how it all comes out.  Behind the engine there seems to be a panel that has multiple screws holding it in.  I am guessing once I get that off it will be more clear, but thought I would ask for some advice.  Also while I have the engine off, is there anything I should check such as the clutch and getting my heater cables hooked up and working properly and of course getting the rest of my engine seal put back on.  I believe we replaced most of the fuel lines after I bought it, but I will check them as well.  Thank you for any information you guys can give me.  I am pretty new at this, but my neighbor is a mechanic and he has done some work on these before.  ALso, to make changing fuel filters easier, could a person put in an in-line fuel shut-off switch between the filter and the tank?  Just checking.  Thank you for your thoughts. 
  • J. Clancy Magoo
"You have to believe in something, or you will fall for anything!"

Offline Beetle

• Global Moderator
  • LoveMyBus Radical
Re: Just pulled Engine;next come gas tank
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2012, 07:07:33 AM »
Sounds like you're heading in the right direction, Larsen!
After you get the tank out, go here for your tank repair kit.
Beetle
'69 Bus (Bessie)

Offline LarsenAA

• LoveMyBus Recruit
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2012, 07:36:47 AM »
Beetle, or anyone:

I took the 12 screws out of the panel that is I am guessing  is hiding my gas tank, a I am not sure how to remove it.  Does it pry off, or slide down?  It is fastened somewhere else.  I really don't want to break anything.  Thanks for your reply.
  • J. Clancy Magoo

Offline Beetle

• Global Moderator
  • LoveMyBus Radical
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2012, 12:43:39 PM »
Beetle
'69 Bus (Bessie)

Offline LarsenAA

• LoveMyBus Recruit
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2012, 12:55:09 PM »
OK, I have the tank out and it looks pretty good on the inside, just some rust of course.  I think I drained 15 gallons out of what I thought was an almost emty tank.  Any way, is there a way to test and see if your sending unit works?  My gas gauge doesn't work, but I don't want to by a new $89 sending unit if that isn't the problem.  Thank you in advance.
  • J. Clancy Magoo

Offline Beetle

• Global Moderator
  • LoveMyBus Radical
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2012, 03:47:16 PM »
You can test your fuel sending unit with an inexpensive ohmmeter from Harbor Freight or Radio Shack.
Beetle
'69 Bus (Bessie)

Offline LarsenAA

• LoveMyBus Recruit
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2012, 05:01:23 PM »
Thank you Beetle.  I did test it and the float goes up and down and I get a reading when I put it in water as well. Now when I get my gas tank done and filled up, I will have to see if my fuel gauge works.  Otherwise I am going to have try and figure out where the problem is.  I guess it isn't that big of a deal, but if it is something simple I would rather have it working if I can. 
  • J. Clancy Magoo