Author Topic: Disc Brake conversion  (Read 5764 times)

Offline ejbus

• LoveMyBus Newbie
  • Long Live the Vw's...
Disc Brake conversion
« on: December 30, 2011, 07:40:13 AM »
Hello,

I'm a newbee and a friend of mine just gave me a 68 bus bay window.  I would like to convert my front brakes to disc and I would like to know my options.  Thank you in advance for any info.

Offline addison

• LoveMyBus Recruit
Re: Disc Brake conversion
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2012, 12:43:59 PM »
Well I just looked into doing that for m 1970 bus and let me tell you its not worth it. First off I was told I would have to beef up the front end by welding in two metal supports. then I would install drop spindles, new ball joints, and new control arms. Then there is the conversion kit I would have to buy on top of all of that which runs $1500. Finally I would have to bump up to 15in rims in the front. Well if I put 15's on the front I would have to put 15's on the rear which would require even more work. So I just stayed with drums. I just drive my bus around town so the drums work fine for me. I'm in the process of doing a major overhaul on the drums including: New wheel cylinders, New shoes, New drums, New master cylinder, and new shocks. So far its much cheeper than a disk conv.

Offline TexasAirCooler

• Global Moderator
  • LoveMyBus Elite Radical
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2012, 04:41:47 PM »
Yea, it's a chuck of change $$$  :Doh:
Terry

'65 bus

TexasAirCoolers

Offline albrtdjnes

• LoveMyBus Newbie
  • Long Live the Vw's...
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2013, 02:40:28 AM »
Which one is preferable disc or drum???
  • Caravan

Offline TexasAirCooler

• Global Moderator
  • LoveMyBus Elite Radical
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2013, 05:11:00 PM »
You can't beat disc brakes for stopping power!

I just made a deal on a '65 bus, I'm looking at converting the fronts to disc down the road.
Terry

'65 bus

TexasAirCoolers

Offline giz59

• LoveMyBus Recruit
  • Long Live the Vw's...
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2013, 06:28:12 AM »
No big deal i know ,but realise any vehicle is a collection of subsystems ,working in harmony, when the bus was designed (and tested) the brakes fitted finally, were suitable for job they were installed to do,a properly maintained drum system will do the job just fine ,assuming the bus is ,engine wise pretty much standard and is driven as per how a bus was designed to be.
  • 1971 bay

Tags: