Author Topic: First start in six years on my 1978! A few questions  (Read 8584 times)

Offline Oshima

• LoveMyBus Newbie
  • Long Live the Vw's...
First start in six years on my 1978! A few questions
« on: December 06, 2011, 12:15:01 PM »
Hey guys,

First time poster here, and I'll probably be around a lot over the next few weeks  :p6:.

I bought a 1978 white-and-blue beauty in 2000. I drove it all the time, but six years ago I left the country and have just moved back, and my poor bus is in pretty bad shape. I'm trying to figure out everything that I need to do before turning the engine over for the first time. I'd be really appreciative if y'all would give me some feedback on this.

I had to leave in a hurry, so all I had time to do was remove the battery, drain the fuel lines, and empty the fuel tank.

So far, I've:

Replaced all fuel hoses;
Replaced the fuel filter;
Changed out the oil and filter

Still to do when it stops raining:

Replace tires;
Replace transmission fluid;
Replace brake fluid;
Remove spark plugs, pour a few ounces of oil into the holes, turn engine over by hand a few times to get it lubed up;
Replace battery (though somehow the thing is still holding a good charge?!)

Of course I'll make sure that it turns over before I put new tires on it or replace the transmission/brake fluid. What have I missed? Any certain prayers I should chant?

Also, one other question: If I remove the heat fan blower, will I need to bypass anything on the electrical system, or can I just tape those wires over and hope for the best?

Thanks, and I really appreciate any help or advice that y'all can give!
  • 1978 Type 2 FI

Offline Irie_Feeling

• LoveMyBus Recruit
Re: First start in six years on my 1978! A few questions
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2011, 08:54:08 AM »
I am a newbie here but have found lots of advice as my bus sat for almost 2 years without being started. I highly suggest cleaning all terminal conections to the battery. I changed out all my spark plugs and the wires as well and bought a new battery. I put the key in turned and she started purring. Purring with a hairball in its throat for sure but she is purring. My next step is a full oil change and fuses. although my bus does now start i will NOT drive it till i change out all the fuel line. No way in hell i want to risk my bus catching fire. Thats all the advice i have for ya, hope it helps :)
  • 1979 VW Bus Transporter
When the POWER of LOVE overcomes the LOVE for POWER, the world will then know TRUE PEACE!

Tags: