Author Topic: Trouble shifting into first and second gear  (Read 9218 times)

Offline Wandersmann

• LoveMyBus Newbie
  • Long Live the Vw's...
Trouble shifting into first and second gear
« on: October 16, 2011, 11:42:33 AM »
My '76 bus will not shift into first or second gear when the engine is hot and starting out in fourth is a royal pain.

My 10 years plus VW mechanic did all he could with heavy duty oil in gear box and shift coupling replacement and is now pinting to transmission problems. I cannot find a transmission shop working on this old vehicle and heard mention as the only remedy being R&R for remove and replace without finding even a shop doing tGRKTVYhat.

I would appreciate any kind of suggestion and advice and a guess what it might cost.

Thank you.
  • 1976 Transporter/Camper

Offline mark_the_singer

• LoveMyBus Recruit
Re: Trouble shifting into first and second gear
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2011, 05:11:42 AM »
Have you tried adjusting the reverse lock-out plate? I'm assuming your mechanic has. If not, give it a try first.

I just put a used tranny in my bus this past summer. I completely lost 3rd in my old tranny. I found a guy with a bunch of used ones. It set me back a couple of hundred buck but the replacement job was easy and everything seems to be working well. I still have my old tranny and I plan on rebuilding it one day with a kit from Long Enterprises in California. Don't get too down on your bus, this stuff happens. I found the same thing you did about transmission places. Nobody seems to work on them anymore. I've also found that almost nobody in our area knows much about carbs, other than the ones that Dr. Atkins didn't want us to consume. Good luck.