Author Topic: 1977 bus cat light illuminated and fuel gauge not working  (Read 9839 times)

Offline Greenbus

• LoveMyBus Newbie
  • Long Live the Vw's...
1977 bus cat light illuminated and fuel gauge not working
« on: October 04, 2011, 05:00:19 AM »
Hello,
My bus has been sitting for about 2 months and my transmission on my daily driver broke. I'm driving the bus again and I noticed the fuel gauge doesnt work. I panicked and went to the closest gas station and put $20 in. I was just doing a test drive and forgot to look before I left. Well I put the gas in and nothing happened. I jiggled the wires on the back and it came up a little but went back down. I had to go to school this morning and I noticed the cat light came on and the fuel gauge still doesn't work. I thOught these things don't even have cats. Thanks for any advice.
  • 1977 type 2

Offline mark_the_singer

• LoveMyBus Recruit
Re: 1977 bus cat light illuminated and fuel gauge not working
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2011, 09:13:25 AM »
I don't know anything about the cat light but I just replaced the fuel gauge on my '71. It was easy after I figured out the vent controls. My old fuel gauge worked sporadically and I had one lying around so I swapped 'em out. Does your odometer work? If so, I religiously track my fuel mileage (then cry about it) and I use the odometer as a rough guide when the fuel gauge isn't working (not a problem anymore). I got my fuel gauge from an instrument panel I bought several years ago at a VW show. I don't think the whole thing cost me more than ten or fifteen bucks. You might also want to just clean your electrical contacts and put some electric grease on them. Good luck.

Tags: