Author Topic: Clutch humming/grinding  (Read 4737 times)

Offline mattbo505

• LoveMyBus Member
Clutch humming/grinding
« on: June 29, 2011, 09:25:23 AM »
Hey guys my clutch is making a grinding humming noise when you slip it into 1st gear only from a standstill and likes to pop out sometimes too. It doesn't sound like grinding gear but more of a partial humming that is coming from the tranny i have no clue every gear after that is fine and it only does it every so often. I had a traveling mechanic come and take it for a test drive it acted all sorts of nasty for him but i haven't been able to replicate the problem on my own any ideas???

Offline Beetle

• Global Moderator
  • LoveMyBus Radical
Re: Clutch humming/grinding
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2011, 09:54:58 AM »
I had a traveling mechanic come and take it for a test drive it acted all sorts of nasty for him
What did he say the problem was???
Beetle
'69 Bus (Bessie)

Offline mattbo505

• LoveMyBus Member
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2011, 10:00:51 AM »
He said to get a clutch replacement kit?????????????

Offline Beetle

• Global Moderator
  • LoveMyBus Radical
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2011, 10:36:27 AM »
He may be right but first I'd check the clutch pedal free-play to make sure there's no preload on the throwout bearing.
If that doesn't get rid of the noise, you'll need to drop the engine and check-out the clutch parts and throwout bearing.
Don't buy a "clutch replacement kit" until you determine what parts you actually need!
Beetle
'69 Bus (Bessie)

Offline mattbo505

• LoveMyBus Member
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2011, 10:37:43 AM »
I agree thats what i didn't want to do buy a 200 plus dollar kit if it could be a 5 minute adjustment thanks for the time Beetle ill let ya know what i find out?

Offline mattbo505

• LoveMyBus Member
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2011, 10:43:48 AM »
Hey Beetle just tried this from Rob and Dave's aircooled pages and my clutch pedal has about quadruple the freeplay im gonna try to adjust it.

1. Press down lightly on the clutch pedal and, with a ruler, measure the distance that it moves freely before the clutch resistance is felt. This freeplay should be within the limits of 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch. If it isn't, it must be adjusted.

Offline mattbo505

• LoveMyBus Member
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2011, 11:24:56 AM »
Well it appears the cable has been wrenched on a few times before and is as tight as it will go looks like i'll be pulling the engine to get a better view. Oh well needs to be done anyway gonna go ahead and do some other stuff while he's down.

Offline mattbo505

• LoveMyBus Member
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2011, 06:05:15 PM »
So here's what i found and i really have no clue what i'm looking at but i did notice the pressure plate is extremely worn and the springs rattle like a tamberine. i'm not savvy on trans stuff but i would like to say it's not supposed to do that?? any thoughts?????????

Offline Beetle

• Global Moderator
  • LoveMyBus Radical
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2011, 12:45:45 AM »
Sounds like 'Otis' is ready for a clutch kit -- don't forget a new clutch cable.
A few hints here.
Beetle
'69 Bus (Bessie)

Tags: