Author Topic: 1977 VW Campmobile  (Read 1382 times)

Offline aarthur

• LoveMyBus Newbie
  • Long Live the Vw's...
1977 VW Campmobile
« on: May 31, 2011, 08:21:55 AM »
i have always wanted a bus and have found a 1977 Campmobile with37,000 miles on it.  a mechanic owns it and drives it every day. he says it is 95% original.
has papers, etc. he is asking $12,000. think i could get it for $10,000. my question is if i have never owned a bus, would this be a good year/style to start with?
i am trying to get as much knowledge about various styles/years as i can before i purchase one. thanks!

Offline Irie_Feeling

• LoveMyBus Recruit
Re: 1977 VW Campmobile
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2011, 08:44:23 AM »
I personally think its personal opinion. If thats the style of bus that YOU like then i say go for it. i like the older split windows, fit for camping. I as well love a good Westfalia with a full pop top roof. I own neither though by the way haha and i have a 79 Transporter. Still awesome as hell and i love it but i personally wish i had one of the others. No matter what bus you have, as long as its in good running condition then get what your preferences like. And i would say this is a PERFECT time of year to get a campmobile, Summer is here and its camping time :). for 10g, owned by a mechanic sounds like it is probably a good bus. My motto is i would rather have a bus that runs fantastic and needs body work than a bus that looks fantastic and doest run worth sh*t! Lots of knowledge on this site and im still a newbie myself so i hope my info helped :)
  • 1979 VW Bus Transporter
When the POWER of LOVE overcomes the LOVE for POWER, the world will then know TRUE PEACE!

Offline azbaywindow

• LoveMyBus Recruit
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2011, 09:27:22 AM »
I purchased a 79' Bay Window Camper and I love it, that type IV engine.  So I can relate.  If your 77' s restored than it's well worth the $10,000 I've seen them go for much more in marginal condition.  So go for it and get the best deal you can.  Keep us posted on how your deal comes out and how the Bus looks.
Best of luck :041: thumb2

Offline aarthur

• LoveMyBus Newbie
  • Long Live the Vw's...
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2011, 10:08:59 AM »
can you tell me the difference between a Westfalia and a campmobile?  are the pop-tops different?

Offline Irie_Feeling

• LoveMyBus Recruit
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2011, 10:19:19 AM »
can you tell me the difference between a Westfalia and a campmobile?  are the pop-tops different?

the company is Westfalia. the conversions that they did for buses were called campmobiles starting in '65 I believe. in the '50s, they were labeled "campingbox", although campingbox is generally used to refer to one specific style of kit, all the early westires had the camping-box decal. And pop tops can be different. Some are full tops that make a nice huge bed and others just have one side that pops up making a triangle. Both sweet in my book but if im going with a pop top i choose the full pop :)
  • 1979 VW Bus Transporter
When the POWER of LOVE overcomes the LOVE for POWER, the world will then know TRUE PEACE!

Offline aarthur

• LoveMyBus Newbie
  • Long Live the Vw's...
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2011, 02:22:33 PM »
thank you for your response!

Offline Beetle

• Global Moderator
  • LoveMyBus Radical
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2011, 03:51:40 PM »
More information on the 'Westfalia' here.
Beetle
'69 Bus (Bessie)

Offline Buggy27

• LoveMyBus Newbie
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2011, 05:23:12 PM »
A 77 is a geat year, plenty of power from the type 4 motor and heaters that work.

A Westfalia is not a Campmobile.  Campmobiles were built a manufacturer here in the US, and were made from a basic Kombi to which they added a custom built camping package.   Westfalia was a company comissioned by Volkswagen to produce camping packages for the Bus.  Westys were made special from the factory and are not just a sun-roof bus with a pop up roof added.

There are some great resources available for the run down on the different types of campers that were available through-out the years.   Basicly it comes down to personal preference, be it a Campmobile or a Westy they are all equally cool in my book. thumb1
I didnt do it, nobody saw me do it, and you cant prove anything....LOL!

Tags: