Author Topic: The Ford Hot Start Relay...please help :(  (Read 2075 times)

Offline Happy

• LoveMyBus Elite Radical
The Ford Hot Start Relay...please help :(
« on: May 28, 2011, 04:01:01 PM »
I've been gone for too long.  Long live the buses!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Betty is GREAT!  7000 miles on my new heads.  but...

Here are the facts:

Starter is 3 years old.  Yesterday, no luck with the ignition switch.  No click...no nothing.

Hooked a switch up to the battery end of the starter to starter solonoid switch, turns over fast and great.

11.2 volts from ignition switch line.

Bought Ford starter solonoid.  The 11.2 volts were not enough to set it off...no clicking.  I tested it from the battery positive and grounded it and  it made all the snapping sounds I would expect.

Where the heck do I go from here?  New ignition switch won't help if the wiring is showing its age.  Would the bosch relay work with 11.2 volts? 

Gonna rig a separate starter switch for now...but that is not how Betty wants to roll.

All ideas would be great.  Thank you all and Betty says HI! :a1:

Offline Happy

• LoveMyBus Elite Radical
Re: The Ford Hot Start Relay...please help :(
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2011, 04:12:56 PM »
HEY ALL!  I hate these childs boards.  I get more attention from the main board.  But...i give the child boards the respect they deserves.  ANYWAY!  I was preparing to accept the idea I needed to remove the damn steering wheel to get at the switch...but it hit me to wiggle the spade connectors I saw on the heavy wires and that did the trick.  Betty started right up.

ALWAYS CHECK THE SIMPLE THINGS!  Its always so tempting to say "Its a 42 year old (enter part name)".  But ive learned...these buses are amazing and the parts last a long time.  Check those simple things.

Love Thy Bus.

Tags: