Author Topic: SUPER squeeky front brakes  (Read 2847 times)

Offline Happy

• LoveMyBus Elite Radical
SUPER squeeky front brakes
« on: October 08, 2010, 03:59:43 PM »
HI MY FRIENDS!  Betty's front drum brakes have become super squeaky over the last couple months.  I flushed water through the adjuster hole but that only helped for a couple days.  Im having trouble seeing the shoe lining thru the adjuster hole.

These shoes have about 6000 miles on them.  Could they be worn already?  I really dont want to pull the drum if there is a simple fix.

So I'm shouting out to my favorite forum for ideas.  Betty is waiting.  THANKS!

Offline Happy

Re: SUPER squeeky front brakes
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2010, 04:24:11 PM »
Hey all.  I looked in the hole on the inside of the wheel and saw the liner.  It is super thick.  Perhaps I need to pull the drum and give her a good cleaning....????  Is that normal?  Is there a better way (without pulling the drum)?

Offline Beetle

• Global Moderator
  • LoveMyBus Radical
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2010, 01:51:04 AM »
Perhaps I need to pull the drum and give her a good cleaning....????  Is that normal?  Is there a better way (without pulling the drum)?
Nope, that's not normal!
I'd lift Betty's front end, remove the drums & check things out.
You've probably got a leaking wheel cylinder or two or maybe a bad wheel bearing.
 :)
Beetle
'69 Bus (Bessie)

Offline Happy

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2010, 04:50:30 AM »
Thanks for the reply.  Im not going thru any brake fluid at all.  The wheel cylinders are 2 years old (not that means anything) and the squeaking is only when the brakes are appied and began occuring on BOTH sides at about the same time.

I think its a bunch of brake dust built up on the shoes and drums.  I like the idea of pulling the drum to take a look.  It's been a couple years.

If anyone else has had this problem let me know!

Thanks!  :a1:

Offline Happy

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2010, 06:09:40 AM »
HI BUS FRIENDS.  I pulled the drums.  Lots of brake dust but no leaks I'm happy to say.  Hosed everything down with brake parts cleaner.  No squeaks for now...but don't know how long it will last.  I noticed the shoes have little shards of metal in the lining material.  Maybe the shoes are the problem.  Lots of lining left, they look as good as when I put them on. 

Offline rob17

• LoveMyBus Recruit
  • Long Live the Vw's...
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2010, 10:01:04 AM »
You should also check the diameter of the drums. If they're oversized the arc of the brake shoes will be wrong so they won't contact the drum like they should. This can cause poor breaking and can cause noise.
Rob

Tags: