Author Topic: Bus wont start/ dies.  (Read 4454 times)

Offline addison

• LoveMyBus Recruit
Bus wont start/ dies.
« on: September 28, 2010, 05:15:56 PM »
Last night I was on my way home from work. I had the lights on and I turned the wipers on occasional because it was misty outside. I put on the turn signal to turn onto my street and my bus died. Everything went black. the lights went off, the wipers went off, and the engine shut off. I pulled off on the side of the road, waited a few min, and tried to start it back up. It didn't even attempt to turn over. It was like the battery was completely dead. I tried to pop the clutch to get it started but couldn't get it fast enough. So I waited for someone to come and jump me off. I got the bus jump started, went home and let the bus run for about 10min with the lights and everything turned off. I went outside to start her up this morning, and noting, it seamed as dead as the night before. The bus has a brand new alternator and battery so I have no Idea why it stopped running all of a sudden. It never made any strange noises, and I never got a generator light. So I have no idea what happened. Just wondering if anyone out there can help me as soon as possible because I had planned to take it to CYW this weekend.

Thanks in advance for any and all help,
Addison

Offline Beetle

• Global Moderator
  • LoveMyBus Radical
Re: Bus wont start/ dies.
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2010, 02:45:19 AM »
Check both cable connections at battery & where the negative battery cable connects to chassis.
Check battery voltage at battery.
Have battery tested.
Beetle
'69 Bus (Bessie)

Offline rob17

• LoveMyBus Recruit
  • Long Live the Vw's...
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2010, 08:18:44 PM »
Hey, I know it's been almost a month but did you find your problem?
Rob

Offline addison

• LoveMyBus Recruit
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2010, 04:27:58 PM »
Still having the same problem. I think its the cable from the alternator to the dash. Because we put a meter on it and it was only putting out .34volts. and when the alternator was first put in the alt light on the dash would come on when you went to start it, like its suppose to, then turn off. However, now the light wont come on at all. So I dont know if its the wire or the spedo.

Offline rob17

• LoveMyBus Recruit
  • Long Live the Vw's...
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2010, 09:44:20 AM »
It shouldn't be in the wire to the dash. It really sounds like a bad connection from the battery. Do you or your friend know how to do a voltage drop test? You should do a voltage drop test on the pos & neg side of the battery and that will tell you if and where you have a bad connection, good luck.
Rob

Offline addison

• LoveMyBus Recruit
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2010, 07:52:30 PM »
Ok I did the voltage drop test and you were right. nut that held the alternator wire to the battery terminal was loose so I tightened it up and I believe I got it fixed. Thank you so much for the help. I cant believe that I didn't notice that beforehand  haha. Thanks you so much!

Offline rob17

• LoveMyBus Recruit
  • Long Live the Vw's...
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2010, 08:40:49 PM »
Glad I could help. It's usually something simple. :)
Rob

Offline addison

• LoveMyBus Recruit
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2011, 02:39:32 PM »
I'm still having the same problem with my battery dying . I put my bus in storage in October and I would go once a month to start it up and let it run. for the majority of the winter it would start right up. However, the last two times I've gone to start it up I've had to boost it off. then whenever I would remove the jumper cables and put it in reverse it would die. finally I hooked it up to one of those booster boxes that you just attach to the battery and flip a switch to jump it. I left the jumper box attached and took it to the local technical school to see if they could figure it out. The teacher said he didn't want his students to wast their time working on something they would probably never see again so I returned my bus to storage. I've rechecked all the connections and they all seam fine the only other thing it could be is my makeshift ground cable for the battery. the previous owner used a red cable to hook up the ground then he just stripped the chassis end of the wire and bolted it near the engine door. So I put electric tape on the wire and made a clamp at the other end with a piece of metal I had in the garage.

Another thing I found strange was when I go to start my bus it wont attempt to turn over unless I push down and let of the gas pealed a few times while I turn the key. I'm not sure if this is normal.

Thanks,
Addison

Offline Beetle

• Global Moderator
  • LoveMyBus Radical
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2011, 04:50:34 AM »
Sounds like it's time to 'bite the bullet' and replace that kludged-up battery ground cable, Addison.
Make sure you clean the connection points thoroughly at both ends.
Beetle
'69 Bus (Bessie)

Offline addison

• LoveMyBus Recruit
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2011, 05:51:59 PM »
This electric problem is driving me crazy!!!  :100: I have now replaced: the ground cable, the positive side battery connector, the plug on that plugs into the alternator for thr  wire that goes to the dash, and the light bulb in the dash.

Thanks!
Addison

Offline Beetle

• Global Moderator
  • LoveMyBus Radical
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2011, 04:00:14 AM »
Check/clean/replace if necessary the ground strap between the transmission & chassis.
Also check the brown wire between the Voltage Regulator & the Alternator Frame -- mine got cooked open once due to a bad Transmission Ground Strap.
Beetle
'69 Bus (Bessie)

Offline addison

• LoveMyBus Recruit
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2011, 05:41:05 PM »
well the light came back on today. I went out to work on my bus today and when I turned the key the light came on. so i started her up and took it for a drive around the block. However, the light did not turn off like it was suppose to. It remained on for the duration of the drive. so when I got home I cut it off and tried to start it again. the light came on once more but then the bus wouldn't attempt to start. Then, I popped the clutch and let it run a few min cut it back off and the same thing happened again.

@beetle
Where exactly is that ground strap located?

thanks,
Addison

Offline Beetle

• Global Moderator
  • LoveMyBus Radical
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2011, 04:44:51 AM »
@beetle
Where exactly is that ground strap located?
Ground Strap is located between the transmission & chassis up toward the nose of the transmission.
Beetle
'69 Bus (Bessie)

Offline cwnation

• LoveMyBus Radical
  • Busses are cool
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2011, 08:11:24 AM »
i battled the same issues for awhile. i had to replace both + and - cables...the + goes straight to the starter, i once had a loose bolt connecting the cable, and that fixed it ever since...
Busses are cool.

Tags: