Author Topic: 1974 vw bus sunroof  (Read 12616 times)

Offline connor_warren59

• LoveMyBus Newbie
1974 vw bus sunroof
« on: January 19, 2010, 09:38:49 PM »
i just got a '74 bus, its got a very large metal sunroof but its not really functional and i guess you could say it leaks a bit.  im trying to figure out how to best fix this.  ive found a place that sells custom ragtops but its a bit pricey, would it be possible to make my own?  i mean there cant be much to it...unless im wrong which i am more often than not.  id like to keep it but i cant find any hardware or seals anywhere, does anyone know of a place i can get this stuff?  its going to be a pretty serious camping rig when im done, i was thinking i might also be able to make a custom pop top?  im just thinking out loud, id love to hear any ideas you may have. 

Offline cwnation

• LoveMyBus Radical
  • Busses are cool
Busses are cool.

Offline TheFoolontheHill

• LoveMyBus Newbie
Re: 1974 vw bus sunroof
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2010, 09:47:24 PM »
I also have a '74 sunroof bus, but i'm looking to repair mine. Mine seems to be intact, but it has sat so long that getting it open is, quite frankly, a bitch. We've got it working 75 percent of the way, but i think there's something blocking the channel way in the back. Anybody have any tips for getting this thing open all the way? Do i have to drop the headliner?

lol I hope not.
Born in the wrong decade.

Offline stevyt

• LoveMyBus Newbie
  • Long Live the Vw's...
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2013, 07:17:40 PM »
I am looking for a metal sunroof to install in my 1971 bus. It was a westfalla but I don't want to restore the fiberglass camper cover.

Offline giz59

• LoveMyBus Recruit
  • Long Live the Vw's...
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2013, 04:36:39 AM »
Never done that job but plenty bus owners on sites "THE SAMBA" and THE LATE BAY " have and they sell stuff too,may be worth a visit ,"the samba is an American based site,hope this helps.
  • 1971 bay

Tags: