Author Topic: Shift Linkage  (Read 18920 times)

Offline mark_the_singer

• LoveMyBus Recruit
Shift Linkage
« on: November 27, 2009, 05:25:03 AM »
Anyone have any hints on getting the shift linkage back together? My shifter has popped off the connection to the linkage, up front, right under the cab. I've looked at it and tried to get it back in but it hasn't worked yet. Is it a two person job? Any hints would be appreciated.

Offline rastafoo

• LoveMyBus SuperSecret Agent
Re: Shift Linkage
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2010, 03:52:22 PM »
I realize this is an old post - just had a similar problem with Janis.
For awhile it's been hard to get 2nd and 1st gears - I loosened the shifter bolts on the floor and had to move the plate all the way to the right  - then I could get 1st most of the time and 2nd about half the time.(pretty scarey taking off from a light and not knowing if 2nd would mesh or if I had to lug in 3rd and piss people off). Finally crawled under the bus and had the wife shift thru the gears. Found the u-shaped shift coupler had broken where it's 'neck' is, allowing some movement to shift into the gears, but very tricky. (it's the coupler that joins the shift rod at the tranny)
Long story short - bought the part kit from busdepot, had it in after a few minutes and adjusted the plate back at the shifter, she's running good as new!
"spirit is the journey, body is the bus"

Offline surfah

• LoveMyBus Radical
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2010, 01:05:57 AM »
That sounds like my story, the problem that is.  I'm changing my drag link right now so I'll have to check that stuff out while I'm down there.  Thanks for the info.

Offline TheFoolontheHill

• LoveMyBus Newbie
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2010, 04:10:00 PM »
I had to change my drag link out as well. Really tightened up the steering. As for the shifter, looks like im completely missing the front bushing, and who knows what else is making it so wobbly.

Still gotta adjust the shift plate so I can get all the gears back as well.
Born in the wrong decade.

Offline rastafoo

• LoveMyBus SuperSecret Agent
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2010, 06:05:39 AM »
Yeah, the first thing I replaced on Janis 3 yrs ago was the drag link. I kept hearing/feeling a knukling when I would turn the steering wheel. Crawled under, took the front pan off, had my son turn the wheel and found the culprit - drag link joint.

Surfah, it almost seems like our buses are having all the same problems at the same time! I think we went thru our motors at the same time too.....
"spirit is the journey, body is the bus"

Offline mark_the_singer

• LoveMyBus Recruit
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2010, 05:43:34 PM »
I've ordered a new plate and shifter assembly. Should be here in a few days. Does anyone have a diagram showing how the bushing fits between the shifter and the linkage? I"m thinking it's a no brainer but I want to be sure.

Crazy side question: Would a bad bushing in the linkage or worn plate cause fourth gear to pop out? I've gotten many different answers to this and I'm just curious. I figure I'm going to have a tranny rebuild eventually but everyone seems to have different input.

Tags: