Author Topic: Maine State Inspection  (Read 2934 times)

Offline mark_the_singer

• LoveMyBus Recruit
Maine State Inspection
« on: September 18, 2009, 05:03:20 PM »
So I don't know if this is the right place to post this but I thought everyone would appreciate it. I recently took in my '71 for an Maine State Inspection at our friendly local garage. I was informed that it wouldn't pass because the shifting was "loose", unlike modern vehicles. When I pressed the point, the mechanic told me that everyone should be able to drive the vehicle when they got into it. I didn't have the time or energy to argue the point right then and there but I will some day. I'm looking for another garage, one where someone doesn't really expect a 40 year old VW to shift like a Subaru.

Here's the other wacky thing. I could register it as an antique and drive it as much as I want with no inspection, as long as it isn't my primary vehicle. It's the only down-side to living in vacationland.........well........

Offline mark_the_singer

• LoveMyBus Recruit
Re: Maine State Inspection
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2009, 03:06:51 AM »
Another thing just occurred to me. Someone mentioned adjusting the front wheel bearings. Does anyone know if this is possible? If so, how?

Offline GostaBerling

• LMBarchaeologist- I dig your bus!!!
  • LoveMyBus SuperSecret Agent
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2009, 01:21:59 PM »
Inspections can be a fun thing to deal with. How sloppy is the shifter? Being how long it is, there will never be a super secure shift because a little slop in the bottom translate exponentially to the top.

As for the wheel bearings, there is not an adjustment. You can take them out and repack them if they have not spun. This will stiffen things up a bit.
Check out Willy's blog: Life and Adventures of a bus named Willoughby

http://willoughbus.wordpress.com/

Life isn't about waiting for the Storm to pass... It's about learning to Dance in the rain!

Offline mark_the_singer

• LoveMyBus Recruit
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2009, 06:35:48 PM »
So the plot thickens. I went to pick up the bus today and found that the shifter was busted. It swiveled around, I could barely get it into 1st and 2nd, and there was no chance of getting it into reverse. The lever wouldn't depress at all to allow it to hit reverse. When I dropped it off the other night, the bus ran fine and shifted as it normally does, I even backed it into the parking spot. I think the "mechanic" didn't know what he was doing and tried forcing it into gear and broke something. I am angrier than words will allow to describe. It being Saturday, it's been impossible to speak with the garage. Anyone out there had a similar situation, with the mechanic or the shifter?

Offline rastafoo

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2009, 09:49:43 AM »
I believe I speak for most bus owners on this site when I say that it will be a cold day in hell when I bring my bus to a mechanic - I wouldn't even let them change the oil! I am learning as I go, and I will repair everything that breaks on her or learn how.......
"spirit is the journey, body is the bus"

Offline mark_the_singer

• LoveMyBus Recruit
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2009, 02:45:34 PM »
Rastafoo, I completely agree. This is a case of needing an inspection and having to leave it with them (I work out-of-town for the week so I had to leave it with them). I now know that just because someone has an ASE certification doesn't mean they know how to drive. Please laugh at me now because I really should have learned this by now. I guess I considered this guy a friend and that's where I made a mistake. You learn by making mistakes, I guess. Please laugh loud enough for me to hear. Thanks. Or crack a beer and commiserate, either way works.....

Offline rastafoo

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2009, 04:27:58 PM »
Oh right! I forgot about the manditory inspection....it's been awhile since I lived in a state that required one... lol.
Hope you get it sorted out.
"spirit is the journey, body is the bus"

Tags: