Author Topic: Stuck Castle Nut  (Read 2496 times)

Offline Orphanater88er

• LoveMyBus Recruit
Stuck Castle Nut
« on: August 29, 2009, 02:30:12 PM »
One of the castle nuts on the rear axle of my 67 bus wont come off. Iv tried putting a pipe cheater on, heating the nut up, soaking it in penetrating oil. I even busted a 3/4 in ratchet on it. Any ideas on how to get it off?
"This is an adventure.." Steve Zissou

Offline rastafoo

• LoveMyBus SuperSecret Agent
Re: Stuck Castle Nut
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2009, 05:20:15 PM »
I'm not being a smartass - did you remove the cotter pin?
"spirit is the journey, body is the bus"

Offline Fastmc25

• LoveMyBus SuperSecret Agent
  • King of the Road
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2009, 09:32:35 PM »
One of the castle nuts on the rear axle of my 67 bus wont come off. Iv tried putting a pipe cheater on, heating the nut up, soaking it in penetrating oil. I even busted a 3/4 in ratchet on it. Any ideas on how to get it off?

I've only seen one that wouldn't come off....... we had to cut the nut with a grinder and cut off wheel......on each side of the castle nut...making sure not to go all the way through to the threads of the axle........  then take a BFH and a chisel and split the nut....... works every time....... just be careful not to damage the threads...........  thumb1

Good luck
"I spent the first 20 years of my life trying to bag some weed....... and now the rest of my life ....just bagging weeds......"

Peace,
Paul @ http://Lovemybus.com
www.arklatexvwclub.com

1973 Adventurewagen  2.8L            "Clyde"
1961 Deluxe Beetle "ALA...Original"   "Christine"

Offline Orphanater88er

• LoveMyBus Recruit
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2009, 03:32:21 PM »
Ha ha, ya I took the pin out, I could see how that might be a problem. it looks like im just going to end up cutting the nut off, thanks.
"This is an adventure.." Steve Zissou

Tags: