Author Topic: Seized up brake  (Read 2812 times)

Offline old_and_fat

• LoveMyBus Recruit
Seized up brake
« on: August 28, 2009, 12:08:44 PM »
hey all!

my 73's back right break has seized meaning i cant move it. i havt had time to look at it yet but can anybody suggest any reasons that it might have done this/what i should look at!

thanks!!
got my bus on my 18th birthday, January 14th. Cool thing is the van was made 1973 on the 13th of Jan :)

Offline Fastmc25

• LoveMyBus SuperSecret Agent
  • King of the Road
Re: Seized up brake
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2009, 09:59:24 PM »
How long has it been sitting long?.....or did this just happen .... Hard to know what to tell ya with no background info... :Drogar-Thinking(LBG):

If it's been sitting for a good while with the parking brake on the shoes may be stuck to the drum..........  I would back off the shoe adjustments and see if it releases......... also check the parking brake cables and make sure they are releasing...

if everything is loose and the adjusters turn...... but it still is siezed........ just tow it forward and backwards and see if they break loose....... you can't hurt anything at this point....  :102:
"I spent the first 20 years of my life trying to bag some weed....... and now the rest of my life ....just bagging weeds......"

Peace,
Paul @ http://Lovemybus.com
www.arklatexvwclub.com

1973 Adventurewagen  2.8L            "Clyde"
1961 Deluxe Beetle "ALA...Original"   "Christine"

Offline old_and_fat

• LoveMyBus Recruit
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2009, 01:53:09 AM »
why thankyou for the reply! yeh sorry about hte lack of background  lol

yeh it has been sitting for a few months in my garage, im not sure it would be the parking break as its only the one wheel thats seized up. i plan to get it up on blocks soon and have a look around! thanks very much  :003:
got my bus on my 18th birthday, January 14th. Cool thing is the van was made 1973 on the 13th of Jan :)

Offline Dj:Eep

• LMB Resident DJ/WiseAss
  • Global Moderator
  • LoveMyBus SuperSecret Agent
  • I think I brained my damage.
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2009, 02:40:34 AM »
Try whacking the drum a few times with a BFH.
DjEep goes "bump" in the night.

Tags: