Author Topic: Right front wheel play (9 and 3 o'clock variety)  (Read 3823 times)

Offline BryGer

• LoveMyBus Recruit
Right front wheel play (9 and 3 o'clock variety)
« on: August 20, 2009, 02:40:29 PM »
(1971 breadbox, 1915cc eng
So I'm doing a front end grease job, scraping away pounds of that grease-dust composite armor that buses build up on the underside...
On a lark, I decide to check both front wheels for any play. Left front has none, like NONE in any direction, so I'm happy there... But the right side has a bit of play in the left/right direction, push/pull at 3 and 9 o'clock. No play up/down at all, just side to side. In moving it around, it looks like it is the tie rod/ball joint connection. The wheel can slop 1/8"  or so either way before moving the tie rod, and I can hear the slight clatter. (Looking at the mechanism from the other end, the rod can move about 1/8" or so before it moves the ball joint and hence the wheel.) I am not seeing any uneven tire wear, nor do I feel a pull one way or the other whilst driving. Is this a matter of correcting the length of the tie rod (which acts like a turnbuckle if I'm not mistaken... it may have shortened up a bit over the years) and/or tightening something up, or does the ball joint need replacing? I can email a digital pic I took if it helps. Should I not be driving him 'till I get it dealt with?
All greased up, squeeks are gone.

Offline Fastmc25

• LoveMyBus SuperSecret Agent
  • King of the Road
Re: Right front wheel play (9 and 3 o'clock variety)
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2009, 06:49:54 PM »
Limited driving would be ok but no long "bumpy road " trips...... you will need a new tierod end.... not expensive at all......... my last one was $8 or $10 bucks.... easy to change when you have a "BFH".... (big Friggin' Hammer) lol
"I spent the first 20 years of my life trying to bag some weed....... and now the rest of my life ....just bagging weeds......"

Peace,
Paul @ http://Lovemybus.com
www.arklatexvwclub.com

1973 Adventurewagen  2.8L            "Clyde"
1961 Deluxe Beetle "ALA...Original"   "Christine"

Offline BryGer

• LoveMyBus Recruit
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2009, 10:48:57 PM »
It's the lower one on the passenger side, so it's left hand threads?
I'm confused...
Why are tie rod ends cheaper than ball joints? Or do those ball joints go higher up on the torsion arm?

Offline Fastmc25

• King of the Road
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2009, 12:08:51 PM »
It's the lower one on the passenger side, so it's left hand threads?
I'm confused...
Why are tie rod ends cheaper than ball joints? Or do those ball joints go higher up on the torsion arm?

Balljoints hold the spindle to the torsion arms.......... the Tierods are for steering the spindle.......  Balljoint's need to be pressed in and the tierods can be done at home..... when you buy tierods you order the ones you need.... (outer or inner tierods)..... that way you know you get the right threaded end for your tierod...... I don't remember which is left hand thread and which is right ..... I'm getting old.... :eusa_wall:

I would get a "Bentley VW Transporter Manual" that will answer all your mechanical questions.....  thumb1
"I spent the first 20 years of my life trying to bag some weed....... and now the rest of my life ....just bagging weeds......"

Peace,
www.arklatexvwclub.com

Offline rastafoo

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2009, 03:08:19 PM »
nice pic - is that clyde's wheel assembly? i wish mine looked that clean......
"spirit is the journey, body is the bus"

Offline Fastmc25

• King of the Road
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2009, 03:35:17 PM »
nice pic - is that clyde's wheel assembly? i wish mine looked that clean......

No that's a bug front end............ just using it as an example.......... My bug is that clean but not Clyde.... lol

Peace,
www.arklatexvwclub.com

Offline BryGer

• LoveMyBus Recruit
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2009, 07:20:58 PM »
OK, very nice...thanks.
I am ignorant as to how to post pics here.  :eusa_wall:
The original manual I have talks about and uses tools that are pretty darn specific.
The Muir Book would be perfect, if it had a nice Aschwanden Sketch for how to get 'em off...
I've done toe in adjusts before, bearing repacks and the like so I am not a total stranger to the logic at work here, at least. whew.
Just never had to mess with these bits unitl now. Should be good fun.
(this is the part where monkies jump out and fling feces at me.)
 :LMAO:

Tags: