Author Topic: Preventive Fire Check!  (Read 37037 times)

Offline Recycle

• Administrator
  • LoveMyBus SuperSecret Agent
  • Just Sittin' here on group "W" Bench...
Preventive Fire Check!
« on: August 17, 2006, 08:20:14 PM »
Hey all, I am very sad to say, the guys over @ www.mykin.com  emailed me the other day and explained they were down in Grants Pass @ a hotel due to the fire they had in their bus. It started in the engine compartment and took the whole bus down to the ground... Hard to say what exactly ignited, could have been fuel line, could have been extremely overheated. They were on there way up to my area to meet up when just outside of Grants Pass they were hitting some heavy hills, it started to slow down to a slow roar and they smelled smoke and well... You can picture it from there I'm sure... I drove down Tuesday night and slept the night and we got up Wednesday morning and I put them up for a night here at my house. Then today I took them to Portland today, where they will be figuring things out, perhaps taking a flight back to sort things out. We stopped at the site http://blog.mykin.us/2006/08/16/picking-up-the-pieces/ where the incident took place, my bus could feel the agony, of Grimolda's remains littered on the side of the road. We found a bit of the engine and a few other pieces, but for the most part she was completely destroyed. It's a total bummer, and I wish it would or could have been prevented. Though we should move on and learn, and consider all the great things that we have and cherish each day. When we got in my bus I had to show Mike and Scott my Fire Extinguisher that is mounted under the drivers side dash. All Mike had to say was, "You should get a bigger one!" Ha! He is in good spirits, and he is taking it as well as you may expect. Scott was a bit weary to get back into a bus, allthough I think it faded as I was cruising along fairly well up the hills. You can read more about this and see some pics over at there blog.

Ill list the topics in order here-

ALL OF THESE LINKS ARE NOT WORKING ANYMORE- HOWEVER PLEASE READ UP ON YOUR FIRE SAFETY HERE http://lovemybus.com/site/content/preventative-fire-check

So please all members check your fire preventive measures http://lovemybus.com/site/content/preventative-fire-check and make sure you have them in place before you drive.
  • NEW FUEL LINES
  • FIRE EXTINGUISHER (Make sure you can grab it, and you know where it is.) (It's not in the closet under all your camping gear is it?)
  • A glove or pot holder to open the Engine compartment.
  • 1972 Westfalia
I got electric light,  And I got second sight. Got amazing powers of observation...

Offline Schmoburger

• LoveMyBus Member
  • Godfather of the Baywindow Mafia
Re: Preventive Fire Check!
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2006, 08:49:52 PM »
Alas.. time and again it continues to happen... :s4:

Good start there recycle, but unfortunately replacing the fuel lines will not by any stretch of the imagination ensure a bus will not go up in flames... but it certainly helps anyway.

It seems timely that I should post the link to my rather in-depth article on preventing Kombi's from going up in flames... so here is the link to the tech article on BWM.

http://baywindowmafia.googlepages.com/kombifireprevention

Not to seem pushy or blunt... but I have to say right now.... IF YOU OWN AN AIRCOOLED VW, READ THE BLOODY THING AND READ IT GOOD!!! :police:

As you'll see bad fuel lines are only the tip of the Kombi fire iceberg....

This article will be appearing in VWMA magazine in November for those members of LMB residing in Australia. :)

Offline landboat

• LoveMyBus Radical
  • Long Live the Vw's...
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2006, 09:00:02 PM »
wow that really sucks! very sad i as well as my family were  are so rooting for zach an mike we are my kin members as well. dont even know what to say .....  :s7:

Offline Recycle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2006, 09:35:46 PM »
Alas.. time and again it continues to happen... :s4:

Good start there recycle, but unfortunately replacing the fuel lines will not by any stretch of the imagination ensure a bus will not go up in flames... but it certainly helps anyway.

It seems timely that I should post the link to my rather in-depth article on preventing Kombi's from going up in flames... so here is the link to the tech article on BWM.

http://baywindowmafia.googlepages.com/kombifireprevention

Not to seem pushy or blunt... but I have to say right now.... IF YOU OWN AN AIRCOOLED VW, READ THE BLOODY THING AND READ IT GOOD!!! :police:

As you'll see bad fuel lines are only the tip of the Kombi fire iceberg....

This article will be appearing in VWMA magazine in November for those members of LMB residing in Australia. :)

Thanks Shmo for the article, well done. It says alot about preventive fire maintenance. Perhaps adding a glove or something near the fire extinguisher to open a hot deck lid would be good to add to the article.
  • 1972 Westfalia
I got electric light,  And I got second sight. Got amazing powers of observation...

Offline Schmoburger

• LoveMyBus Member
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2006, 10:57:11 PM »
mmmmmm.... yeh mate... I have been of divided somethingorother about the glove... it certainly is a good idea to prevent injury from a hot engine lid! :)

That said tho, the mere act of opening the engine lid can turn a little fizzer of a fire into an infrno in seconds as an inexhaustable source of oxygen becomes freely available from the open hatch.  :s13:

But I suppose for a carby fuel line fire, we arent left with much aof an alternative really.

EIther way... it is not an ideal situation. fighting the fire through the intakes (only really effctive with Halon or CO2 extinguishers) is unfortuanatrely far less efficient with reguards to flame coverage, however it also helps to stifle the fire.... i have seen a bus burn with the engine lid closed for quite a while...in fact, it burned forquite a few minutes before the firies arrived, and still came out relatively intact (tho unrepairable without spending serious money)... even the back of the poptop somehow survived. :s13:

if the lid is opened however, and you are not ready to jump on the fire like a ton of bricks, it vcan be totally engulfed within a couple of minutes, and come out looking like the MyKin bus. :s16:

thats why its best to just stop fires happening hehehe...

Anywho.. I'll maybe at that glove bit in sometime soon anyway mate.. dont suppose it can hurt anything if somebody is going to open the engine bay anyway. :)

CHeers!

Offline Recycle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2006, 11:17:56 PM »
Yah, you know I kinda thought of it myself the fact of opening the deck lid would let oxygen in. But as you said, fighting it thru the vents would be very difficult. I think you really have to atack it as fast as you can, or your gonna be screwed. So opening it might be the best solution. But if gas is spewing all over, it really doesnt matter what you have its gonna burn? Dont yah think?
  • 1972 Westfalia

Offline Schmoburger

• LoveMyBus Member
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2006, 11:37:27 PM »
Yah, you know I kinda thought of it myself the fact of opening the deck lid would let oxygen in. But as you said, fighting it thru the vents would be very difficult. I think you really have to atack it as fast as you can, or your gonna be screwed. So opening it might be the best solution. But if gas is spewing all over, it really doesnt matter what you have its gonna burn? Dont yah think?

Yep... that is indeed the case.. the sad fact is, no matter how big your extinguisher or how quick you are.. you will NEVER be able to put out a burning VW until the supply of petrol feding the flames has been exhausted. whilst a fire has heat oxygen and fuel it will continue to burn, and it is impossible to remove either oxygen or heat completely, especially whilst it is in flames.

ANother fact is that a bus will in most cases continue to burn until the tank is dry due to gravity feed from the high mounted tank... unless the fuel supply can be shut off...

This is why the Schmo, resident fire-nazi plans to place a simple tap underneath the fueltank in the lower rear bulkhead, inside his bu under the rocknroll bed. Instead of the fuel tank outlet line running directly to the fuel pump from the tank, it will be routed instead through this simple tap. In the unlikely event of a afire, one can simply dive under the back seat and twist the tap closed, therefore effectively shutting of the major source of fuel to the fire as early in the plumbing as possible.

This means that the tank will not continue to drain all over the flames, so one can then relatively safely fling open the engine lid and blast the flames with an extinguisher which will now be effective, cos as soon as all the fuel vapour has been exhausted, needless to say, the fire will remain out.  :s3:

I will put instructuions for doing this up when i have tried it myself... i am not oine to preach what i have not practiced hehehe. :)

Anywho... im gonna see if i can get these pics of BC to post properly!  :s9:

Cheers!

Offline Recycle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2006, 11:47:28 PM »
That's an excellent idea.
  • 1972 Westfalia

Offline Wizzard

• Grand Poobah
  • Global Moderator
  • Cruisin' in the Magic Bus
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2006, 04:35:18 AM »
My condolences on Grimolda . I , too , am a member of mykin .
That not only is tragic but extremely sad .
If anyone out there has an extra bus they can donate to the bros , that would really be a wonderful thing to do for those nice peeps .
Best regards, Wizzard
People are like flowers , and I want to thank you for letting me walk thru your garden .
                                         ...... Lord Buckley

[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://imgcash2.imageshack.us/img193/692/wlogo2b.jpg[/img]

Offline sluggo

• LoveMyBus Newbie
  • Itinerant Air-Cooled
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2006, 08:49:57 AM »
I hate to say this.  But I said to them several times to take those (2) filters out of the engine compartment.  Especially that little plastic one.  The #2 cause of ACVW fire (#1 being old hoses).  Just the worst possible place.  Glad they are okay.  Hopefully this won't turn them off to Busses.
Itinerant Air-Cooled Forum
http://www.itinerant-air-cooled.com

'72 Bus - "The Great Pumpkin"
2000cc - Dual Weber 36s
SVDA - Hot Spark
Redline Weber Rotary Fuel Pump - Holley Regulator
-----------------------------------------
'71 411 Squareback
009 Dizzy
Weber Progressive

Offline Dj:Eep

• LMB Resident DJ/WiseAss
  • Global Moderator
  • I think I brained my damage.
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2006, 09:59:10 AM »
 :p4: :p4: :p4:

That was a beautiful bus!  I got my filter the heck outta the engine compartment and stuck it over the trans when i replaced the heads a few months ago.
DjEep goes "bump" in the night.

Offline McT

• Laidback? Im laying down.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2006, 03:19:37 PM »
Thats tragic news. Lucky the guys got out in one piece- Ive been following the whole adventure and am very sad that it has come to a standstill for them.

My condoleances to Miike and Zach.
Stretching sanity since the dawn of spandex..looking forward to every damned thing..life?..ITS GREAT!

Offline steve

• LoveMyBus Recruit
  • Long Live the Vw's...
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2006, 11:38:02 AM »
first ,real sorry to hear of the fire, i had a 59 bus years ago, that came from nm. that caught fire was atotal loss but no one hurt. i live in the notheast ,western maine to be exact ,am looking for a bus before 66. not many around up here thanks also nice forum  might stick around

Offline Wizzard

• Grand Poobah
  • Global Moderator
  • Cruisin' in the Magic Bus
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2006, 03:53:26 PM »
Hey Steve ,
Welcome to Love My Bus . We all hope you do decide to stick around .
Best regards, Wizzard
People are like flowers , and I want to thank you for letting me walk thru your garden .
                                         ...... Lord Buckley

[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://imgcash2.imageshack.us/img193/692/wlogo2b.jpg[/img]

Offline Schmoburger

• LoveMyBus Member
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2006, 08:15:32 AM »
Gday Steve.. welcome to LMB... good idea to stick around cos these guys are maximum PHUN!! :g6: :s3:

Cheers!

Teh Schmofather