Author Topic: Powdercoating rims  (Read 2995 times)

Offline AmyH

• LoveMyBus Newbie
Powdercoating rims
« on: July 22, 2009, 12:26:41 PM »
Hello everyone, I am a newbie to the forum and just bought my first bus (1978).  I want to get the rims powdercoated soon, but I have a question that may seem a bit stupid.  In order to get the rims to the place to be sandblasted and then powder coated, the bus will be without wheels for a short period of time.  What is the safest way to support the bus while it does not have wheels/rims on it? 

Thanks in advance for the help.

Amy

Offline Wizzard

• Grand Poobah
  • Global Moderator
  • LoveMyBus SuperSecret Agent
  • Cruisin' in the Magic Bus
Re: Powdercoating rims
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2009, 01:48:53 PM »
Support it with jack stands . That should hold it safely .
Welcome to the group btw.
Kind regards , ~W
People are like flowers , and I want to thank you for letting me walk thru your garden .
                                         ...... Lord Buckley

[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://imgcash2.imageshack.us/img193/692/wlogo2b.jpg[/img]

Offline AmyH

• LoveMyBus Newbie
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2009, 02:21:30 PM »
Thanks Wizard, I have been a bit freaked out about having it on jack stands for a few days.  It is going to be on a dirt area, so I was thinking of putting wood pads (plywood) under the jack stands, so they don't sink. 

I read in another post about best jack placements under the van, but they didn't cover it as well as I would have liked.  Does anyone have suggestions on best placement for where to place the jack stands in the front and the rear?

I am sure I will have a ton of questions as I get going.  I'll be pulling the engine and transmission, etc...  Lots and lots of work, and although I have done some minor work on cars before (brakes and general tune-ups), I have never taken on anything this big before.  Glad to know there is a forum with friendly folks I can turn to for advice. 

Thanks everyone.  :039:

Offline Sokolov

• LoveMyBus Radical
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2009, 05:24:27 PM »
 welcome
We're here to help the best we can  thumb1
let us have many an adventure

Offline rastafoo

• LoveMyBus SuperSecret Agent
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2009, 06:26:30 PM »
 welcome Glad you are here.
"spirit is the journey, body is the bus"

Offline AmyH

• LoveMyBus Newbie
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2009, 08:21:55 AM »
Thanks for the nice welcome everyone! I am definitely looking forward to learning from you all.  :041:

Tags: