Author Topic: CV Axles  (Read 5948 times)

Offline mark_the_singer

• LoveMyBus Recruit
CV Axles
« on: July 05, 2009, 03:24:14 PM »
I'm about to embark on my first cv axle replacement on my '71 bus. It has allen head bolts. Are there allen sockets available or is everyone using a T-handle set-up. I've done several cv axles on Subarus but this is a bit different.

Offline TexasAirCooler

• Global Moderator
  • LoveMyBus Elite Radical
Re: CV Axles
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2009, 04:11:45 PM »
What ever works best for you mate. I just used a long allen wrench on mine.
Terry

'65 bus

TexasAirCoolers

Offline Fastmc25

• LoveMyBus SuperSecret Agent
  • King of the Road
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2009, 04:47:13 PM »
I'm about to embark on my first cv axle replacement on my '71 bus. It has allen head bolts. Are there allen sockets available or is everyone using a T-handle set-up. I've done several cv axles on Subarus but this is a bit different.

I've used allen wrenches (should be 6mm) or go to a tool store and get a apex bit on a 3/8" drive socket....  that way you can torque the hex bolts correctly.... I torque mine to 20 ft lbs.  thumb1  really whatever you're comfortable with...  thumb1
"I spent the first 20 years of my life trying to bag some weed....... and now the rest of my life ....just bagging weeds......"

Peace,
Paul @ http://Lovemybus.com
www.arklatexvwclub.com

1973 Adventurewagen  2.8L            "Clyde"
1961 Deluxe Beetle "ALA...Original"   "Christine"

Offline mark_the_singer

• LoveMyBus Recruit
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2009, 05:05:57 PM »
Thanks for the info. I really appreciate this site. Has anyone replaced a nose piece on the front end? I'm trying to get the bus inspected and I need to replace the nose. I'm considering brazing or gas welding because that's the set-up I have and I tried mig welding other pieces but we kept melting the original metal, even at low voltage.

Offline Fastmc25

• King of the Road
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2009, 05:13:52 PM »
Gas welding will work best....... Main thing is work slow and try not to heat the metal too much so to prevent expansion....... I usually tack weld every inch or so all the way around the panel being installed...... let it cool every 2 or 3 tacks...... keep going until the panel is fully welded on.... you can then work it more with a grinder and hammer and dolly....  thumb1

Oh... and skip around the the metal to cut down on work time..... don't do em' all on the same side...at once....  Get it tacked into place then start your welding.. thumb1
"I spent the first 20 years of my life trying to bag some weed....... and now the rest of my life ....just bagging weeds......"

Peace,
Paul @ http://Lovemybus.com
www.arklatexvwclub.com

1973 Adventurewagen  2.8L            "Clyde"
1961 Deluxe Beetle "ALA...Original"   "Christine"

Offline mark_the_singer

• LoveMyBus Recruit
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2009, 05:32:06 PM »
Thanks for the info. Do you have someone hold up the vertical pieces while starting your tacks or do you clamp it? Do you have a tip size suggestion? I've been using a #3 tip.

Offline mark_the_singer

• LoveMyBus Recruit
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2009, 06:26:00 PM »
So I had just about no problems getting the cv axle off (I'm doing one at a time) but I bunged up some of the bolts. Does anyone know the specs on the bolts? I think a local fastenal place has them a lot cheaper than ordering online but I want to make sure the size is right. I also figure I should replace all 24 while I'm at it.

Offline TexasAirCooler

• Global Moderator
  • LoveMyBus Elite Radical
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2009, 06:55:41 PM »
Are you replacing the boot's they usually come with new bolts & washers.
Terry

'65 bus

TexasAirCoolers

Offline mark_the_singer

• LoveMyBus Recruit
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2009, 02:21:06 PM »
No, I'm replacing the whole axle. I was trying to save time. I think I'll be able to get the bolts through a local screw/bolt supplier. It will just take a few days.

Offline rastafoo

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2009, 06:11:25 PM »
 :Doh: Just replaced the axle boots and repacked them - god what a frickin mess! My buddy wasn't kidding when he said it was the messiest job on a v-dub. John at Wagenhaus let me put Janis up on the lift for the process - I did it all though......the new boots sure are pretty  - even have matching blue zip ties on the small part of the boot! I tried to put the dished washers back but it was near impossible to get the circlip on  - so I left those out. They take up any slack on the splined part of the axle that the joint goes on. Without it (the dished washer) the joint bearing can only move 1/8th on an inch or so - it shouldn't do any harm. Haynes manual says to discard them anyway.
The only joint that didn't have smooth creamy grease still in it was the pass. tire side - the grease was more like paste and dry, so I cleaned it really well and packed it. I plan on replacing the whole axles next time.
"spirit is the journey, body is the bus"

Offline mark_the_singer

• LoveMyBus Recruit
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2009, 04:57:45 PM »
I'm going to repack the next time. The passenger side, tranny side, came apart as I was installing the new one. I used every word I learned in my days as a sailor as I figured out putting the bearings back in and repacking it with grease. If that's as messy as it gets, I gladly look forward to any other job. I feel like I wasted money on a whole new axle but you live and learn, I guess. It didn't save me the time I was thinking it would, either.

Tags: