Author Topic: Brakes smoking more than I do  (Read 2507 times)

Offline OrganicCat

• LoveMyBus Newbie
Brakes smoking more than I do
« on: June 22, 2009, 10:50:05 AM »
Was going to haul some stuff off to Goodwill for donation but found out shortly after leaving smoke coming out of the rear right tire area.

It wasn't heavy, very light, but definite smoking.  I of course emptied an entire fire extinguisher in the wheel well just to be safe.  I noticed shortly before we noticed the smoking that my brakes were very "tight" as in the VW slowed down noticeably when I took my foot off the gas (it usually glides extremely well) but I thought this was just due to the extra weight (looking back, that's not how physics work I realize :p).  The pedal (brake) wouldn't depress very far and worked extremely "well".  The problem of course being the smoking rear axle.

Anyway, after pumping the brakes a few times, I didn't appear to encounter this smoking brake problem again on the short trip home and the brakes were "looser" like they normally are and the car was gliding much better.  I checked in the book and didn't find anything, but online I found someone saying something about the brake hose acting as a "check valve" and locking up the brakes causing a rear wheel fire like I ALMOST had.

I wanted to pass this by here since it wasn't covered in the book and make sure this is likely the part I need to fix, as well as how I'll "know" it's the part that's broken once I take a look at it (i.e. what should it look like/do?).

This will be my first actual hands on fix for this baby :)  Also, where can I get wipers for a 69' Type 2 camper?

Offline GostaBerling

• LMBarchaeologist- I dig your bus!!!
  • LoveMyBus SuperSecret Agent
Re: Brakes smoking more than I do
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2009, 02:28:46 PM »
The hose colapsing is very probable. The other possiblities are a stuck emergency brake or a faulty wheel cylinder.

Wiper blades can be purchased at any autoparts stores. The arms are another story.
Check out Willy's blog: Life and Adventures of a bus named Willoughby

http://willoughbus.wordpress.com/

Life isn't about waiting for the Storm to pass... It's about learning to Dance in the rain!

Offline rastafoo

• LoveMyBus SuperSecret Agent
Re: Brakes smoking more than I do
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2009, 11:54:05 AM »
That's what my bus did. It was the rubber brake lines - I replaced all 4 (they go from the hard lines to the brake ass.) in an afternoon. Just pre-lube before you loosen the old ones and don't strip them off or the job gets alot bigger. Like Gosta said - they look fine but the interiors gum up and collapse, not letting brake fluid thru.
"spirit is the journey, body is the bus"

Tags: