Author Topic: Steering box and ball joint problem?  (Read 4606 times)

Offline TheMitch

• LoveMyBus Newbie
  • Long Live the Vw's...
Steering box and ball joint problem?
« on: May 24, 2009, 01:22:19 PM »
Hello,

We have a 1969 VW bus,  Type II transporter.  Which seems to have A LOT of play in the steering.  It wonders all over the road.  I had a friend check it out and he said the upper driver side balljoint needs to be replaced.  And the steering box as well.  When you turn the steering wheel, you have to move it a fair bit before the linkage turns.  Our question is, can the steering box be re-built by a weekend greaser?  Should we get a whole new control arm for that side? To save having a professional try and press that ball joint in?

here is the van

Offline Fastmc25

• LoveMyBus SuperSecret Agent
  • King of the Road
Re: Steering box and ball joint problem?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2009, 07:25:25 PM »
 welcome,

Have the Ball joint pressed in at a shop with a good size press.. ..... not something you'll want to tackle..... the steering box is adjustable..... get a "Bentley" Manual for Vw Busses..... it's a easy procedure that you can do..... also go ahead and replace the control arm.......... they don't cost very much and you can replace it yourself....  thumb1
"I spent the first 20 years of my life trying to bag some weed....... and now the rest of my life ....just bagging weeds......"

Peace,
Paul @ http://Lovemybus.com
www.arklatexvwclub.com

1973 Adventurewagen  2.8L            "Clyde"
1961 Deluxe Beetle "ALA...Original"   "Christine"

Offline Sokolov

• LoveMyBus Radical
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2009, 08:29:03 AM »
I know this has nothing to do with your question, but I am SO jealous of your gasoline heater!  :s13: :054:
let us have many an adventure

Offline TheMitch

• LoveMyBus Newbie
  • Long Live the Vw's...
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2009, 02:06:41 PM »
Thanks for the help!  I'll order that book tonite.  We don't even use the gasoline heater.  I have to get it hooked up and working.

Offline Sokolov

• LoveMyBus Radical
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2009, 10:49:40 PM »
Thanks for the help!  I'll order that book tonite.  We don't even use the gasoline heater.  I have to get it hooked up and working.

Good luck man!  At some point my bus had one as there is a gaping hole in the hump for it.  It makes a great conduit to pass all of the wiring for instrumentation and whatnot through though! ;) 

DSC00032
let us have many an adventure

Tags: