Author Topic: Rear Axle Seal Leak  (Read 9736 times)

Offline bbaythav

• LoveMyBus Recruit
Rear Axle Seal Leak
« on: May 22, 2009, 07:04:30 AM »
I noticed my rear axle was leaking on my 65 bus when I was replacing the brake shoes. Thus, in order to replace that seal I thought I needed to take the four bolts off the cover that holds the wheel bearing on. Well, when i did that all the grease came gushing out. Not until I did research online did I realize that instead of taking it a part you can take a punch and hammer the old seal to remove it. This way most of the grease stays in there.

Now my question is after I replace everything, where do I add more grease, what kind of grease and how much? Thanks.

Offline Sokolov

• LoveMyBus Radical
Re: Rear Axle Seal Leak
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2009, 07:05:25 PM »
It's oil that came out, right?  Kinda stinky oil?  That's the gear oil from your reduction boxes.  All you have to do to fill them is find the big plugs on the top and bottom of them and take those out.  Easy?  Prolly not.  They take a HUGE allen wrench which you most likely will have to mail order.  BUT!  You can make your own TrannyTool® by finding and grinding a bolt who's head fits into the plug.  Then take two nuts and screw one about halfway down and then put the other one on after it.  Loosen the first one while tightening the second until their faces line up and they are really tight.  You get bonus points if you can somehow weld them together and to the bolt.  This is now all you need to remove these stubborn, stubborn plugs.  Put some sort of wrench or ratchet on the nuts and then the bolt head in the plug and TWIIIIIIIIIIST really hard.  This tool also works with the three plugs on the tranny.  I'll post a pic of mine when I run down and get it.  thumb2

Each reduction box takes .53 pints of 80W-90 gear oil.  That works out to about 9 fl. oz. if I remember right.  Too much will blow out your seal!  Don't top them off!  The oil expands a bit when it gets warm.  This is also a great opportunity to drain both reduction boxes and the transmission as they take the same oil, tools and work postion. :)  When you reinstall the plugs, put that nickel anti-seize compound on the threads so the next time you have to take them out, they will be easy.

let us have many an adventure

Offline Sokolov

• LoveMyBus Radical
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2009, 07:54:35 PM »
DSC00368

Offline bbaythav

• LoveMyBus Recruit
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2009, 03:09:56 PM »
Three plugs? Called a VW parts store and they told me about the main one on the tranny. So there are two more, one on each reduction box?

Offline Sokolov

• LoveMyBus Radical
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2009, 05:53:23 PM »
Three plugs? Called a VW parts store and they told me about the main one on the tranny. So there are two more, one on each reduction box?

Threre are 7 plugs total.  Two on each reduction box and three on the tranny.  One is for filling and one for draining on the redux boxes while two are for draining on the transmission. 

Offline bbaythav

• LoveMyBus Recruit
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2009, 02:53:39 PM »
OK. I replaced my rear axle seal on passenger side and added fluid. Now I noticed that the driver side near the rear axle seal is leaking. The axle seal looks dry, so it is not leaking from there. What looks like is leaking is from the bolt that holds on the wheel cylinder? Is that possible? It is not the wheel cylinder that is leaking because I have not added any break fluid. Plus the fluid looks like gear oil.

Thoughts anyone?

Offline bbaythav

• LoveMyBus Recruit
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2009, 03:44:01 PM »
Here is a picture of where I think the leak is at? It is right around where the back side of the bolt that holds the wheel cylinder. Should I replace that rear axle seal too?

Offline Sokolov

• LoveMyBus Radical
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2009, 08:51:01 PM »
It looks like it's leaking from where the brake backing plate meets the redux box...  if so, then I believe the seal that sits in there has gave out or it's just loose... Tighten the four bolts holding the big block (inside of the brake) that holds all the seal junk together.  If that doesn't work, then you may have to replace that seal or just silicone it up good.  It's kind of a pain to get to as the whole backing plate needs to come off.

Again, I'm just figuring from the picture.  I may be not totally right on this so seek a second opinion if you can :)

Offline bbaythav

• LoveMyBus Recruit
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2009, 09:48:18 PM »
Thanks for the suggestion. I isolated it to a little hole one the backside of the backing plate, above the wheel cylinder. The gear fluid is coming from there. I decided to just go ahead and replace the axle seal since I did it on the passenger side already. Lets see if that resolves the problem. Cheers!

Offline bbaythav

• LoveMyBus Recruit
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2009, 12:23:27 PM »
I replaced the driver side rear axle seal, added 1/2 pint of gear oil, and no more leak. However, now the other side is leaking, which did not leak before. I wonder if I added too much oil? I never completely drained the oil by taking the bottom plug out. I just replaced the axle seal and emptied all the oil coming out of that. Thoughts?

Offline Sokolov

• LoveMyBus Radical
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2009, 09:38:05 PM »
The two redux boxes are too far separated (with the tranny in between) to share much oil.  It may be a good idea as long as your playing with it to just drain each reduction box and the transmission and then fill the boxes with 9 oz. of gear oil each and a bit over 5 pints in the tranny right now.  That way you know you have the correct amount of oil (fresh) all around and can not worry about it causing any problems. :)

Tags: