Author Topic: question about cd player  (Read 4303 times)

Offline bluefever

• LoveMyBus Recruit
question about cd player
« on: April 06, 2009, 09:54:19 AM »
i'm new here and to buses,i have a 78 camper,my question is,has anyone here upgraded their factory stereo,well actually that's probably a stupid question,but crutchfield claims no stereo will fit despite a 9" depth,how difficult is it to upgrade the factory stereo?are there any install kits or anything in existence?

Offline smithe68

• LoveMyBus Activist
Re: question about cd player
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2009, 10:10:57 AM »
I suspect your newer bus is better then my 71, and I went to Walmart and purchased a Sony deck and it fit right in no problem.  There is a lot of room behind the opening, so I imagine it shouldn't be too difficult.  I used best buy's website to find decks that would fit and was able to use the specs they listed for the different stereos to find what I needed.  Hope that helps.
'71 Bay, more later

Offline bluefever

• LoveMyBus Recruit
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2009, 10:35:48 AM »
according to what i've read there are only two front speakers,so i'm imagining it can't be to difficult to hook up,but i'm guessing i'm going to atleast be tripling the amount of speakers in my bus. :bangyourhead:

Offline joshola

• LoveMyBus Grunt
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2009, 01:30:36 PM »
Yeah it's not hard to do at all just running a few wires very simple.

Offline bluefever

• LoveMyBus Recruit
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2009, 02:09:05 PM »
what do people typically put in the rear,surely 2-4" speakers aren't good enough for any reasonably modern cd player.

Offline joshola

• LoveMyBus Grunt
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2009, 02:32:24 PM »
That all depends on you really, I would like to put a pair of 6" x 9" in the rear seat of my camper. It just gives it a little more  :035:

Offline smithe68

• LoveMyBus Activist
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2009, 02:48:35 PM »
I see lot's of 6X9's in the backs and subs as well.  Right now I just have two 6.5" three way speakers up front, I can hear it, but it's not great.  I will be putting a couple of 6X9's in the back, and a small 8" sub in as well.
'71 Bay, more later

Offline Fastmc25

• LoveMyBus SuperSecret Agent
  • King of the Road
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2009, 03:14:20 PM »
Most of your standard DIN stereos will fit without any problems..... I have a nice JVC system that makes plenty of noise in Clyde..... I have 2 6" 2 way speakers up front in the doors.... and 2 6x9" 3 way speakers in the rear.... 

Just let your imagination go wild and setup what you want..... just make sure you have enough power to run it...  If your going major amperage then you may need to upgrade your charging system a little....  thumb1

"I spent the first 20 years of my life trying to bag some weed....... and now the rest of my life ....just bagging weeds......"

Peace,
Paul @ http://Lovemybus.com
www.arklatexvwclub.com

1973 Adventurewagen  2.8L            "Clyde"
1961 Deluxe Beetle "ALA...Original"   "Christine"

Offline joshola

• LoveMyBus Grunt
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2009, 03:18:24 PM »
Nice set up fastmc  thumb7

Offline SkyYoda

• LoveMyBus Recruit
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2010, 02:28:48 PM »
Yea I had no problems installing my new sound setup in Sky. Threw in a receiver from Fry's Electronics, along with 2 5" up front and 2 6"x9" in the back. Oh yea, can't forget the Kenwood sub  :banrasta: The sound is oooh so good.

That is, if I could hear it over the engine, wind, and road noise... I need new door seals! :Drogar-HeadPhones(LBG):

Tags: