Author Topic: So I've had it with transaxles  (Read 2471 times)

Offline Sokolov

• LoveMyBus Radical
So I've had it with transaxles
« on: March 22, 2009, 11:05:59 PM »
 :Doh:  <--- This. 

Got the bus out today to find that my rebuilt tranny has a small, insignificant leak coming from somewhere around the bell housing.  I hope it isn't a seal.  I've had this thing rebuilt already to get it where it is and I'm done trying to force more life out of it.  It pops out of reverse and 4th (of course) and needs it's bungie to stay in gear.  It's just old and tired and is telling me to just give it up.  I don't really blame it.  :005:

So sometime this year I'd like to fork it out for a new, a brand-new and not a simple torndown and put together again tranny.  This is quite a job so I don't know when I'll get to it (money is a factor too of course).  We've taken the tranny out before and know from working on the sand rail how to dig into the axles.  It would be a big, but not impossible job.  Question is, does anyone have any experience with Rancho Performance Transmissions?  They have a new 12v swing for $399 (I know it still is technically a rebuild, but it's as close to "new" as I can find) plus core, shipping, etc.  I just want a durable transaxle with no popping out of gear, no leaks, just durability and longevity. 

Here--->  http://www.ranchoperformancetrans.com/vw-transaxles.html

Thoughts? 
let us have many an adventure

Offline vdubyah73

• LoveMyBus Elite Radical
  • CHANGE THOSE FUEL LINES, ALL OF THEM.
Re: So I've had it with transaxles
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2009, 04:04:09 AM »
couple years ago a buddy bought a Rancho swing axle freeway flier. Went into a Beetle with a rebuilt 1776. car just felt wrong driving it. Felt like you could feel every powerstroke of the engine or something. Noisy as well. Rancho stood behind their product though, sent another one. I'll have to ask about the shipping costs. I don't see the guy very often.
CHANGE THOSE FUEL LINES, ALL OF THEM. See avatar

http://Http://bustersbestsandwiches.com

Offline Fastmc25

• LoveMyBus SuperSecret Agent
  • King of the Road
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2009, 05:00:52 AM »
Make sure you let them know it's a Gear Redux tranny your bus your needing it for...... I bet the price goes up a little..... The R&P gear has to be reversed to work in your bus........ I have a Rancho in my bug behind the 2276cc ........... Solid tranny...... thumb1
"I spent the first 20 years of my life trying to bag some weed....... and now the rest of my life ....just bagging weeds......"

Peace,
Paul @ http://Lovemybus.com
www.arklatexvwclub.com

1973 Adventurewagen  2.8L            "Clyde"
1961 Deluxe Beetle "ALA...Original"   "Christine"

Offline Sokolov

• LoveMyBus Radical
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2009, 08:20:08 AM »
Thanks all.  I'll post if and when I do this. Ah, to not have worn out synchronizers...  lol
let us have many an adventure

Tags: