Author Topic: I think I need to replace my streering damper?  (Read 2756 times)

Offline rodzilla77

• LoveMyBus Newbie
I think I need to replace my streering damper?
« on: March 14, 2009, 07:43:28 PM »
Hey guys I am new to the community and need some advice.  I have a 77 VW Transporter that I have been building up for the past 3 years and she is almost ready!  1.)I have a lot of play in the steering and have already relpaced the steering linkage and the tie rods.  I believe my slack is coming from the steering damper?  It is leaking oil and is probably original?  What are your thoughts?  2.)Also My emergenc brake is not engaging.  It is holding tension and yes I adjusted the nut on the cable.  The cable is tight when the lever is pulled, but still not catching on brakes.  I replaced my rear brake shoes and still no cigar.  I think it might be the drums might need to be replaced.  Your thoughts?  Thanks guys.  I will post pictures soon!

Offline GostaBerling

• LMBarchaeologist- I dig your bus!!!
  • LoveMyBus SuperSecret Agent
Re: I think I need to replace my streering damper?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2009, 07:34:44 AM »
welcome

1) From my experience the play in the steering wheel comes from the steering gear box. Typically a damper will get a bad spot in it that will cause the wheels to shake violently if you hit a bump. If it is leaking then I'd replace it as there is no way to refill it and it will eventually be useless. You can check for certain if this is your problem by removing the damper and compressing it by hand. It should compress smoothly and evenly and then return back to normal position.

2) Have you adjusted the rear brakes properly? If they aren't adjusted then the e-brakes will not engage. Also, have somebody pull the cable while you have the drums off and see if the e-brake moves.
Check out Willy's blog: Life and Adventures of a bus named Willoughby

http://willoughbus.wordpress.com/

Life isn't about waiting for the Storm to pass... It's about learning to Dance in the rain!

Offline Fastmc25

• LoveMyBus SuperSecret Agent
  • King of the Road
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2009, 07:40:05 AM »
 welcome

The dampener is used to "Dampen" the shock from loads imposed on the steering linkage while steering or hitting rough terrain....... if it's leaking i'd replace it anyway... thumb1

Any slack will be tierods, balljoints, Center Pivot Pin or a steering box needing adjustment/replacement.  Look at you Bentley Vw Service manual on adjusting the steering box.......

The rear brakes probably need to be adjusted correctly and that should fix your parking brake problem...... See Bentley on that also....

If you don't have a Bentley i would suggest getting one....  It's a perfect investment for a bus owner..... Checkout Amazon.com or ask your local bookstore ...... sometimes i see them on Samba for sale........

Here is another place that might help in the meantime...   www.ratwell.com    thumb1
"I spent the first 20 years of my life trying to bag some weed....... and now the rest of my life ....just bagging weeds......"

Peace,
Paul @ http://Lovemybus.com
www.arklatexvwclub.com

1973 Adventurewagen  2.8L            "Clyde"
1961 Deluxe Beetle "ALA...Original"   "Christine"

Offline Sokolov

• LoveMyBus Radical
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2009, 08:47:41 PM »
From my own experience, check the drag link if you haven't already.  This is the bar that goes back from the steering boxk to the rest of the steering goodies.  The rubber ends on mine were so worn that my 1/4 turn of slack was reduced greatly when I replaced it. 

http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=211415701G
let us have many an adventure

Offline rodzilla77

• LoveMyBus Newbie
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2009, 08:03:29 PM »
I did my drag link a little while ago and yes it did help.  I replaced my tie rods.  And recently I did get my hands on a damper and front shocks for free!  I love the VW community.  I am almost there.  Still a little slack going to tighten up my steering box.  Thanks for all the help guys I hope to do the same for people on here. 

Offline Sokolov

• LoveMyBus Radical
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2009, 09:30:24 PM »
Remember, a bit of slack is normal.  I don't think many buses are going to have no flat spot after this long.  Unless it really bothers you, maybe it'd be less of a hassle to just learn to drive with it.  :)  My 1/4 turn was unsafe but a few inches of nothing isn't a concern.
let us have many an adventure

Tags: