Author Topic: Sloppy Steering  (Read 5292 times)

Offline Ruttco

• LoveMyBus Newbie
Sloppy Steering
« on: October 17, 2008, 05:15:41 AM »
In getting this bus ready for my son I have noticed that the steering is pretty sloppy. About a 1/4 to a 1/2 a wheel turn of play in the steering wheel. What does one do to correct this?  :imnew:

Offline zozo

• LoveMyBus Elite Radical
  • O2BNAVW
Re: Sloppy Steering
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2008, 05:28:29 AM »
Drag link and center pin are normally the 2 main culprits.  Also make sure your tie rod ends are in good shape.

If you climb under it and have someone turn the steering wheel, you can watch all the various parts moving.  It's fairly easy to see where the movement is either not occurring in sync with the rest of things, or where things are going up and down instead of side to side.  The up and down will most likely be seen at the drag link and/or center pin.   Up and down is bad, side to side is good.

Offline GostaBerling

• LMBarchaeologist- I dig your bus!!!
  • LoveMyBus SuperSecret Agent
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2008, 06:45:57 AM »
:iagree:

If everything checks out fine then the gearbox may be wearing out. IIRC, there is a screw adjustment that can take some of the slack out of the box. I recommend searching the samba and consulting the Bentley before turning this screw.   
Check out Willy's blog: Life and Adventures of a bus named Willoughby

http://willoughbus.wordpress.com/

Life isn't about waiting for the Storm to pass... It's about learning to Dance in the rain!

Offline Ruttco

• LoveMyBus Newbie
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2008, 07:11:56 AM »
Thanks guys. I will take a look tonight. Can't have my son driving with that much play in the wheel. I don't mind it at all. :bangyourhead:

Offline vdubyah73

• CHANGE THOSE FUEL LINES, ALL OF THEM.
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2008, 01:38:09 PM »
don't forget the rag joint. Adjust steering box by loosening the jam nut and turning screw in. test drive to see if steering returns to center on it's own. If not you went too tight, back off the screw till steering does a better job of returning to center.
CHANGE THOSE FUEL LINES, ALL OF THEM. See avatar

http://Http://bustersbestsandwiches.com

Offline zozo

• O2BNAVW
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2008, 02:34:25 PM »
And remember, if you over tighten the aforementioned little screw and drive it like that, it won't be long and you will definitely be buying a new steering box.

Offline vdubyah73

• CHANGE THOSE FUEL LINES, ALL OF THEM.
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2008, 03:46:24 AM »
That is why you do the return to center test. If it doesn't return to center, you went too tight.
CHANGE THOSE FUEL LINES, ALL OF THEM. See avatar

http://Http://bustersbestsandwiches.com

Tags: