Author Topic: CONVERTING OVER!?!?!?  (Read 8649 times)

Offline Freshsince84

• LoveMyBus Recruit
  • Pumpkin V-DUB
CONVERTING OVER!?!?!?
« on: October 09, 2008, 06:46:58 AM »

here is my problem, my 1970 wobbles on the front end quit badly when i'm driving what parts off a 1979 transporter will help me fix my problem?

the 1979 drives fine but is not a camper and i'm looking to get this 1970 running because it is.If a complete swap is possible that's what i would like to do, if not i'd like help figuring out what the problem is and what parts i can use from the 79 to help me fix it.

it happens all the time @ above say 20-30 mph, those with jeep would refer to this sort of action as death wobbles but not quiet so bad.

thanks for your guys help i know i could do better just need a quick answer. thanks!
When the power of LOVE overcomes the love for POWER, we shall all know true HAPPINESS!!!!

☼Jam☼

Offline Fastmc25

• LoveMyBus SuperSecret Agent
  • King of the Road
Re: CONVERTING OVER!?!?!?
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2008, 07:02:19 AM »
Not sure if the '79 frontend will bolt in or not..... :102:

I'd just ensure all the original balljoints and tierods are tight with no play in them...... If the wobble is speed related it can also be out of balanced tires or out of round tires.....

Jack up the complete frontend and spin the tires..... look for abnormal movement ..... Grab the tire and lift up and down,push in and out and note any play in the joints...... That's about all that can be wrong with the front of a bus....other than the steering dampner being worn out..... but that really won't make a wobble..... thumb1
"I spent the first 20 years of my life trying to bag some weed....... and now the rest of my life ....just bagging weeds......"

Peace,
Paul @ http://Lovemybus.com
www.arklatexvwclub.com

1973 Adventurewagen  2.8L            "Clyde"
1961 Deluxe Beetle "ALA...Original"   "Christine"

Offline Freshsince84

• LoveMyBus Recruit
  • Pumpkin V-DUB
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2008, 07:10:56 AM »
Not sure if the '79 frontend will bolt in or not..... :102:

I'd just ensure all the original balljoints and tierods are tight with no play in them...... If the wobble is speed related it can also be out of balanced tires or out of round tires.....

Jack up the complete frontend and spin the tires..... look for abnormal movement ..... Grab the tire and lift up and down,push in and out and note any play in the joints...... That's about all that can be wrong with the front of a bus....other than the steering dampner being worn out..... but that really won't make a wobble..... thumb1

would any parts from my 79 work on th 70 in order to fix it. such as rims/tires, steering box and anything of that sort?
When the power of LOVE overcomes the love for POWER, we shall all know true HAPPINESS!!!!

☼Jam☼

Offline Fastmc25

• LoveMyBus SuperSecret Agent
  • King of the Road
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2008, 07:48:14 AM »
Really not sure.... Check here as there may be some helpful info you need.... http://www.ratwell.com  thumb1
"I spent the first 20 years of my life trying to bag some weed....... and now the rest of my life ....just bagging weeds......"

Peace,
Paul @ http://Lovemybus.com
www.arklatexvwclub.com

1973 Adventurewagen  2.8L            "Clyde"
1961 Deluxe Beetle "ALA...Original"   "Christine"

Offline Theizzardking

• LoveMyBus Grunt
  • Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2008, 08:58:22 AM »
so last night i found a guy on craigs list with a 70 camper for sale with a 78 front beam in it, he said ken @ busco (we both know who that is) did the work for him and if he remembers correctly, it's a direct swap, with the added bonus of having power brakes in the front, after some research i have found this to be a really desirable upgrade.

here is my email conversation-

"Hello, I didn't do the work, but my understanding is that you can directly swap between certain years.  Ken Madson at www.thebusco.com could tell you how.  His number is (206)523-6525.  You should buy all your parts from him, he's super cool.
thanks,
Alton
-----Original Message-----
>From: jason i <theizzardking@hotmail.com>
>Sent: Oct 8, 2008 5:38 PM
>To: sale-867623451@craigslist.org
>Subject: '70 VW Camper, Westy with new motor, pop-top tent and more - $4450 (Mount Vernon/Alger)
>
>** CRAIGSLIST ADVISORY --- AVOID SCAMS BY DEALING LOCALLY
>** Avoid:  wiring money, cross-border deals, work-at-home
>** Beware: cashier checks, money orders, escrow, shipping
>** More Info:  http://www.craigslist.org/about/scams.html
>
>hi I'm sorry to bother you I was just really admiring your bus and I'm quite into them myself in the last 6 months, I have managed to acquired 3 of them, and want to swap the front beams like you did, I've been on thesamba and searched around the internet and can't get a straight answer on how this is done.I don't want to take too much of your time so if you can just refer me to where you figured this out I'll take care of the rest myself. I saw that your computer is broken I'll just wait until you can get around to responding I don't want to be too intrusive. I really like you bus and thanks very much for your help.
>Jason I
>
"

-------------------------------------
and from a few more posts on the other forum i have come to understand that the only difference in the beams themselves is a flange mounted for the  brake booster in the later bay's , so it should swap straight in then you have to deiced if your going to hook up the power brakes or if your going to
just not. --------------------

-------------------
more info

-he booster bracket is on the 79 beam ,, you have everything you need ,, you can get fuild line ( steel tubing ) from any steel suplly to use as a hard line from the engine to the booster,, then flex line ( Rubber) to make connections

you have this 79 bus so switch the rear brakes,, giving you the small bolt pattern...on all four ...

now you lucky day LOL,, I have the factory single port manifold with the vacumn tube connection port ..

BUTT ... This is The *** .. so the price on this one of lind,, state of the art rare find is 5000

or hack in a tube with JB weld that will fall out in the middle of I/5 at 3:30 pm Friday
---------   
theizzardking

haha! if you have one what do you really want for it, i have a state of the art machine shop and weld shop @ work and can get stuff done for the cheap price of beer and booze so i could have something drilled out and brazed if need be.. does anyone got photo's?
'71 westie "the wanderer" aka wanda
98 jeep zj 5.9l 3" rubi express lift,242t-case,4.56 yukons,fpik,shift kit,v8 360 mag.
--------------------------       

towd

I have one,, but shipping from me to you...... it wouldn't be worth it ..... It would take you about 30 minutes to mod your,, in a shop.

I'am a 1/2" tube about 2' long would work ,, they are brazed in at about a 15 degree upward angle ,, on the left side ,, maybe just a hair toward the front ( angle) ,, then the flex tube went up over the coil ,, and through the body on the left side,,,

what I really want for would be moe like 10,000 I mean hell this thing is rare and oem, nos..pos
Reply with quote Report this post to Moderator/Admin.
and I don't have a clue what it came off of .. I think the 68 auto sticks used this manifold... ?????? it's laying in a old bus, in a pile of s/p manifolds ,, I was looking at old junk parts,, seeing the large connect suck in my mind...

Thinking better not send that one to china,, so empi can make more wheel adpaters-
----------------------------------------------------

so problems that we might incur during said swap,
1.we need to change the bolt pattern in the back to match the front or carry 2 spares,
2.fitting tube to intake manifold for vacuum to power brakes.
3.if the problem is the steering box need a '70 one of those as the '70 one will work on the 79 beam but the 79 steering box won't work on the '70 column.
4. if you have any other concerns give ken a call and see what he say's it seems he's done this before.

with that said i crawled under there yesterday and had a look it looked like the right front tire was really low on air and the rubber was cracking, also the ball joint boot back there was torn and a shock looked to be leaking all on the same side of the bus. so instead of a massive beam swap and all of that it may just be a few $20 parts that need to be replaced. i took photo's and i'll see if i can post them here in a few minutes.

it really breaks down to this, the '70 beam can be fixed cheap enough and easier than swapping, BUT with swapping you gain power disc brakes in the front causes more work for sure and may be a bit more expensive,(i'm thinking $100 wheel adapters for the rear or swapping brakes which means parts from another bus or ordered direct)

so why don't you come over and we'll tinker around and see what you want todo , i really need to get an engine and tranny lined up by the following weekend though as i'm planning on going and picking up the bus from the peninsula on the 18th and it would be sweet if i can put all of this in over there and not have to tow it back. no rush, no pressure man, i dont want you getting in over your head, and if you want i've found a motor and tranny for $500 if you just want to buy it off me for that you can have both buses and do as you wish, i'd still be down to help you out with fixing it up and getting it camp worthy. just another option for you think about don;t let your head explode! i know mine is about too! :p15:
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch.Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin
'77 westie "Merkwürdigliebe" aka lovie or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb
98 jeep zj 5.9l 3" rubi expres

Offline Theizzardking

• LoveMyBus Grunt
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2008, 09:07:03 AM »
i took a photo of everything that stood out to me. let me know what you guys think about this stuff.

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch.Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin
'77 westie "Merkwürdigliebe" aka lovie or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb

Offline Freshsince84

• LoveMyBus Recruit
  • Pumpkin V-DUB
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2008, 09:13:17 AM »
so problems that we might incur during said swap,
1.we need to change the bolt pattern in the back to match the front or carry 2 spares,
2.fitting tube to intake manifold for vacuum to power brakes.
3.if the problem is the steering box need a '70 one of those as the '70 one will work on the 79 beam but the 79 steering box won't work on the '70 column.
4. if you have any other concerns give ken a call and see what he say's it seems he's done this before.

with that said i crawled under there yesterday and had a look it looked like the right front tire was really low on air and the rubber was cracking, also the ball joint boot back there was torn and a shock looked to be leaking all on the same side of the bus. so instead of a massive beam swap and all of that it may just be a few $20 parts that need to be replaced. i took photo's and i'll see if i can post them here in a few minutes.

it really breaks down to this, the '70 beam can be fixed cheap enough and easier than swapping, BUT with swapping you gain power disc brakes in the front causes more work for sure and may be a bit more expensive,(i'm thinking $100 wheel adapters for the rear or swapping brakes which means parts from another bus or ordered direct)

so why don't you come over and we'll tinker around and see what you want todo , i really need to get an engine and tranny lined up by the following weekend though as i'm planning on going and picking up the bus from the peninsula on the 18th and it would be sweet if i can put all of this in over there and not have to tow it back. no rush, no pressure man, i dont want you getting in over your head, and if you want i've found a motor and tranny for $500 if you just want to buy it off me for that you can have both buses and do as you wish, i'd still be down to help you out with fixing it up and getting it camp worthy. just another option for you think about don;t let your head explode! i know mine is about too! :p15:

well regardless i likle that bus and im pretty sure i want it wheather or not you take my engine. as far as if you DONT take my engine i dont have the cash to put up to buy it unless you were willing to work out some sort of deal cause 500 is damn cheap and i CAN afford it but dont have it right now haahaa

☼Jam☼

Offline Theizzardking

• LoveMyBus Grunt
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2008, 09:21:55 AM »
haha yea no problem man, i'm good either way, like i said all i care about it turning that bus into a type4 motor and tranny for my 78, i really don't care how it happens or what it takes that be my goal hahaha!

and like i said before man don't feel pressured to jump and do something either way, i have until the middle of next week before i have todo anything.
the just buying it option was just a suggestion to give you more options and more time to do the things you want. if your considering just buying it, i could do like 1/2 now and the rest whenever i go to buy a tranny. i've found a a good 2L motor carbed for $250 fully running great compression, and one with full electronics for $350 same condition, like i sadi i'm not bother either way swapping taking cash , whatever i just really want to save the 78 from the chop saw and get her on the road! haha sorry if my offer has just complicated your thought process. haha.

Offline Theizzardking

• LoveMyBus Grunt
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2008, 09:22:58 AM »
also anyone see anything going on in the photo's above? cracked boots to me just means worn rubber as all of the boots are blown oout on my '71 but she drives like a dream.

Offline Freshsince84

• LoveMyBus Recruit
  • Pumpkin V-DUB
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2008, 09:41:00 AM »
haha yea no problem man, i'm good either way, like i said all i care about it turning that bus into a type4 motor and tranny for my 78, i really don't care how it happens or what it takes that be my goal hahaha!

and like i said before man don't feel pressured to jump and do something either way, i have until the middle of next week before i have todo anything.
the just buying it option was just a suggestion to give you more options and more time to do the things you want. if your considering just buying it, i could do like 1/2 now and the rest whenever i go to buy a tranny. i've found a a good 2L motor carbed for $250 fully running great compression, and one with full electronics for $350 same condition, like i sadi i'm not bother either way swapping taking cash , whatever i just really want to save the 78 from the chop saw and get her on the road! haha sorry if my offer has just complicated your thought process. haha.
well im for what ever you are pretty much. if you find an engine thats better than mine i would say buy it and get the best you can. if your willing to do half and half i can do that. i get paid tomorrow and then i wouldnt get paid till the next following 2 week friday so tomorrow the 10th and then again the 24th so i guess thats up to you if you would take payments those days

☼Jam☼

Offline Theizzardking

• LoveMyBus Grunt
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2008, 11:30:35 AM »
ahh forget about it dude, let's just work on these together and i think we'll both end up with what we want,it seems like swapping beams and rear brakes (just found out the brakes will swap no problem as well so forget that stuff about carrying a 2 spares) is a job that can be done in a day,i'm thinking we should start on some of this this weekend sometime or if your busy whenever is clever it's def. a 2 person job though so we need to figure out a good time/day to meet up.@ the very least when you come up buy some stuff to insulate the cabin of the bus and we can just putt around doing that and get a better idea about what to do about the front beam. i really think if i was you i'd want to swap 'em over just so i can have power brakes. forget about even trying to trouble shoot and replace. i'm getting alot of people saying the tires so it might be something as simple as that. but "f" it why even bother power brakes would be better anyways. and you can use your tires you have now if we swap anyways. whatcha think'n buddy!

Offline Freshsince84

• LoveMyBus Recruit
  • Pumpkin V-DUB
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2008, 11:51:38 AM »
ahh forget about it dude, let's just work on these together and i think we'll both end up with what we want,it seems like swapping beams and rear brakes (just found out the brakes will swap no problem as well so forget that stuff about carrying a 2 spares) is a job that can be done in a day,i'm thinking we should start on some of this this weekend sometime or if your busy whenever is clever it's def. a 2 person job though so we need to figure out a good time/day to meet up.@ the very least when you come up buy some stuff to insulate the cabin of the bus and we can just putt around doing that and get a better idea about what to do about the front beam. i really think if i was you i'd want to swap 'em over just so i can have power brakes. forget about even trying to trouble shoot and replace. i'm getting alot of people saying the tires so it might be something as simple as that. but "f" it why even bother power brakes would be better anyways. and you can use your tires you have now if we swap anyways. whatcha think'n buddy!
im thinking it sounds like you did your homework haahaa and that it sounds fabulous to me. well we already talked about meeting up on saturday so we can stick with that. im gonna try and get under my bus when i get home and deal with the clutch cable so i can drive it there today. i just gotta wait for Chels to get home so i have till then to try and get it going. i just hope the rain stops cause its a little hard to lay on wet ground haahaa

☼Jam☼

Offline Theizzardking

• LoveMyBus Grunt
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2008, 11:59:47 AM »
cool deal where you guy planning on coming up today? if so cool you guys want to do dinner while we're at it? if not cool see ya saturday!

i'll rob tools and such tomorrow i don't think we need much more than strong backs and some basic tools, i'll find more out later.
you do want to grab some brake line though so we can run the line for the front brakes to the rear, also we should pull the intake manifold so i can bring it into work and get that tube put in (it works out good because on my '71 it's missing as well so i need to make one of these as well) for the power brakes.
the funny thing about that part is it's a very rare 1 year only part so chances of finding a stock one are one in a thousand and even then they'll want some gawd awful price for it!

so cool man look forward to seeing you whenever!

Offline Freshsince84

• LoveMyBus Recruit
  • Pumpkin V-DUB
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2008, 12:18:12 PM »
cool deal where you guy planning on coming up today? if so cool you guys want to do dinner while we're at it? if not cool see ya saturday!

i'll rob tools and such tomorrow i don't think we need much more than strong backs and some basic tools, i'll find more out later.
you do want to grab some brake line though so we can run the line for the front brakes to the rear, also we should pull the intake manifold so i can bring it into work and get that tube put in (it works out good because on my '71 it's missing as well so i need to make one of these as well) for the power brakes.
the funny thing about that part is it's a very rare 1 year only part so chances of finding a stock one are one in a thousand and even then they'll want some gawd awful price for it!

so cool man look forward to seeing you whenever!
Yea we were planning on coming over tonight and dinner sounds fine to me and im sure it will to Chels aswell. yea i got some tools i can bring over tonight so we can get some shit done. any suggestions whereto get some brake lines from?

☼Jam☼

Offline Theizzardking

• LoveMyBus Grunt
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2008, 12:49:41 PM »
cool we'll get some pasta or something of the sort together i'll grab a floor jack and some stands, i'm grabbing an engine hoist this weekend so i can move this motor hanging out in the garage then we can put the '70 in there while under construction. for tonight i'll grab some lights some other tools to work on it when it gets dark, i'm thinking as far as tonight goes we can get the interior going and start to wrap our heads around this axle thing,
i think you grab the brake line stuff anywhere. like schucks and the like, i think we can even get the steel bits from like lowes and stuff.

grab some of this stuff,
http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=13358-56291-13358&lpage=none

Tags: