Author Topic: WEEBLE WOOBLE!!!  (Read 2952 times)

Offline Freshsince84

• LoveMyBus Recruit
  • Pumpkin V-DUB
WEEBLE WOOBLE!!!
« on: October 08, 2008, 07:07:01 AM »
So i have a 1970 pop top camper bus that wobles once i hit the speed of about 15mph. im ASSUMING it the front axle or i guess hoping it is so if im wrong please let me know. But as well i was just wondering would an axle and or suspention from my 79' Transporter fit on the 70' camper bus to solve my problem?
 :p10:
When the power of LOVE overcomes the love for POWER, we shall all know true HAPPINESS!!!!

☼Jam☼

Offline GostaBerling

• LMBarchaeologist- I dig your bus!!!
  • LoveMyBus SuperSecret Agent
Re: WEEBLE WOOBLE!!!
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2008, 07:12:19 AM »
First things first. Have you checked that your lugs are snug down properly. They have been known to work them selves loose over time. Next, have you examined your tires... are there bulges, are they properly balanced, when was the last time they were balanced, have you hit a curb, etc..  Next when was the last time the wheel bearings were greased? When was the last time the alignment was done?

I would eliminate the easy and cheap fixes before jumping into an entire front beam replacement.
Check out Willy's blog: Life and Adventures of a bus named Willoughby

http://willoughbus.wordpress.com/

Life isn't about waiting for the Storm to pass... It's about learning to Dance in the rain!

Offline Freshsince84

• LoveMyBus Recruit
  • Pumpkin V-DUB
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2008, 08:05:08 AM »
First things first. Have you checked that your lugs are snug down properly. They have been known to work them selves loose over time. Next, have you examined your tires... are there bulges, are they properly balanced, when was the last time they were balanced, have you hit a curb, etc..  Next when was the last time the wheel bearings were greased? When was the last time the alignment was done?

I would eliminate the easy and cheap fixes before jumping into an entire front beam replacement.

im not to sure at all as this is a bus i plan on fixing up cause im getting it from this other guy and i just know the problem and havent been under to check it out but yes i will have to get under there and see how it is see if things are loose or what not. but if the case came down to it would the axle fit do you think¿  :p7:
When the power of LOVE overcomes the love for POWER, we shall all know true HAPPINESS!!!!

☼Jam☼

Offline Theizzardking

• LoveMyBus Grunt
  • Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2008, 12:24:41 PM »
my posts from another forum. and answers.

here is my problem, my 1970 wobbles on the front end quit badly when i'm driving what parts off a 1979 transporter will help me fix my problem?

the 1979 drives fine but is not a camper and i'm looking to get this 1970 running because it is.If a complete swap is possible that's what i would like to do, if not i'd like help figuring out what the problem is and what parts i can use from the 79 to help me fix it.

it happens all the time @ above say 20-30 mph, those with jeep would refer to this sort of action as death wobbles but not quiet so bad.

thanks for your guys help i know i could do better just need a quick answer. thanks! Smile
'71 westie "the wanderer" aka wanda
98 jeep zj 5.9l 3" rubi express lift,242t-case,4.56 yukons,fpik,shift kit,v8 360 mag.

i'm no expert in 79's--god save those who are. but, disk brakes are most certainly a huge issue all the way back to the intake manifold. a major conversion such as 79 front end to 70 bus can be done. note major. the top mounts for the beam have to be relocated and setting up disk brakes is a completely separate problem. not to mention countless other things that i'm sure other will kindly point out.

as for the "death wobbles" check--in order: wheel balance, shocks, wheel bearings, ball joints, tie-rod ends, steering gear box.

if the 79 drives fine, put the 70 camper gear in it. it'll be allot easier than putting the 79 front end in the 70.

don't "ruin" either bus though. you should post both as featured ads for 15 grand +. one man's trash is another man's treasure. Very Happy

enjoy!

ps...dig your avitar

"wheel balance, shocks, wheel bearings, ball joints, tie-rod ends, steering gear box."

are these parts interchangeable? i'm looking now and i see steering boxes and tie rods that say for years 68-79 is that right?same goes for bearings and ball joints.... can i pull these from the 79 and use them on the 71?
this would save the massive brake conversion your talking about.....

towd

according to the great (forum name) god of Vw buses,, a 77 front end will bolt right in a 70.....

theizzardking

PostPosted: Today 10:14 am    Post subject:    Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post
who be that? also would a pre '71 front end work?

i'm also pulling from a 79, from my limited knowledge it seems as if a 79 would fit just fine with the exception of the brake setup mentioned earlier
but could be set up just fine if i can find a '71 year only brake booster.

did they ever change the front beam? just the brake set up right?

PostPosted:
coffeeman wrote:
The question also to me is can you use any bug parts ? tierods etc.
i believe you can use some bug parts but tie rods are different length for the bus or a better term would be width, i believe a bus has a wider base than a bug, as far as wheel bearings and such go they maybe the same.

Steering box is a no-go, later box would require two new holes to be drilled, drag link and steering couple are the same. There is a lot more to changing a front beam than a wham bam thank you mam, it is not four bolts and out it comes. if you are by yourself dang near impossible unless you have the correct lift and holding tool. Stripped to the bare beam it is manageable.

Besides the obvious, ball joints, tie rods, steering dampner also check the center pivot bushings.

Karl

Only the bare 1970 beam will fit IF it has the plate welded on for the brake booster. The plate pictured below where #12 points to here:
http://www.ratwell.com/technical/Microfiche/t203400.gif

70 was the last year for wide 5 wheels and drum brakes. 71 started power brakes and disc brakes in 1971 on USA buses.

Karl, he wants to go with a 79 beam in a 70 bay. Personally I feel fixing the 70 beam is easier than swaping beams and various sundry items, unless a beam is bad (rarely) the various components are easy to fix.

i really am leaning toward what the last guy is saying i checked all of the parts prices and it seems to fix every compnets on the beam is like $200 max, and that's IF everything needs to be replaced. i also have access to welders if we need to weld the brake tab on there and do a disc brake conversion on the '70. otherwise should just fix the '70 beam, i have a feeling it may just be bad ball joints and that's it, i'm going to have a look at the center and check that out, the wobbles don't feel as if they are the bearings and it makes no sounds when your driving which makes me think the bearings are still good.. so i'll check the rest and see what i come up with, you think you could roll out sometime this week and have a look with me? another set of eyes is always good and if we're going to trade i want you to see what i see and go through the whole process of trouble shooting w/ me. that way we both know what is wrong and whatit will take to fix it and we can come to an understanding somewhere along the line. get back to me and let me know what the good word is ! thumb6 :imnew: :Drogar-SunGlass(LBG):
(sorry just wanted to use similes i've never seen before ha!)
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch.Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin
'77 westie "Merkwürdigliebe" aka lovie or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb
98 jeep zj 5.9l 3" rubi expres

Offline Freshsince84

• LoveMyBus Recruit
  • Pumpkin V-DUB
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2008, 01:47:25 PM »
i really am leaning toward what the last guy is saying i checked all of the parts prices and it seems to fix every compnets on the beam is like $200 max, and that's IF everything needs to be replaced. i also have access to welders if we need to weld the brake tab on there and do a disc brake conversion on the '70. otherwise should just fix the '70 beam, i have a feeling it may just be bad ball joints and that's it, i'm going to have a look at the center and check that out, the wobbles don't feel as if they are the bearings and it makes no sounds when your driving which makes me think the bearings are still good.. so i'll check the rest and see what i come up with, you think you could roll out sometime this week and have a look with me? another set of eyes is always good and if we're going to trade i want you to see what i see and go through the whole process of trouble shooting w/ me. that way we both know what is wrong and whatit will take to fix it and we can come to an understanding somewhere along the line. get back to me and let me know what the good word is ! thumb6 :imnew: :Drogar-SunGlass(LBG):
(sorry just wanted to use similes i've never seen before ha!)

yea sounds good to me. i can come over either today or tomorrow but most likely tomorrow cause im sure Chelsea wants to come with. She seemed to really like Angela haahaa. So yea just let me know if tomorrow works for you. Just sucks it gets dark so quick now. Depending on the weather and what time i get home im gonna see what i can do with my jimmy rigged clutch cable and swap it for something else that works so i can drive her over there.

☼Jam☼

Offline Theizzardking

• LoveMyBus Grunt
  • Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2008, 01:50:56 PM »
 :043:that's funny my girl said the same thing, kindred spirits or something like that! ha! i'm off work now and my phone is on, you know where i live so just drop by when ever man. i'll rob some lights so we can work a bit late if we need to let me know if there is anything else we might want, i'm thinking i have a ball joint tools for my jeep and they may just work for the bus so we'll see what's up with that. i gotta go but i'll chat to you tomorrow or call me if you want! piece!
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch.Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin
'77 westie "Merkwürdigliebe" aka lovie or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb
98 jeep zj 5.9l 3" rubi expres

Tags: