Author Topic: The 1973 transaxle, Automatic vs speed and why  (Read 2364 times)

Offline KennyG

• LoveMyBus Newbie
The 1973 transaxle, Automatic vs speed and why
« on: July 07, 2008, 07:35:01 PM »
So, My first bay window  :a1: and I found a parts doner at a salvage yard  :041: which now enables me to use either transaxle. The bus is an automatic originally, and was a daily driver until the owner lost his keys and it sat for 8 years. The parts doner was unbelievably, not only the same year, but only 1000 units apart, from the same assembly plant. Which tranny would be better, considering the amount of work to either find parts for and rebuild the auto, or completely change to 4 speed? Any comments welcomed

Offline Fastmc25

• LoveMyBus SuperSecret Agent
  • King of the Road
Re: The 1973 transaxle, Automatic vs speed and why
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2008, 05:31:52 AM »
The bus "full automatic" is a good tranny when it's working right and in good shape...... thumb1  But if it was ever abused or not maintained properly you would have a timebomb on your hands.....  and good luck getting a Vw shop or any tranny shop for that matter to know how to repair or rebuild it......... there are some that can and will work on them but not many..... :102:

The manual tranny is/was the backbone of this driveline and will always be ...... It has lasted 30-40 years so far and with minor maintenance will be around another 20 yrs or more..... thumb1
"I spent the first 20 years of my life trying to bag some weed....... and now the rest of my life ....just bagging weeds......"

Peace,
Paul @ http://Lovemybus.com
www.arklatexvwclub.com

1973 Adventurewagen  2.8L            "Clyde"
1961 Deluxe Beetle "ALA...Original"   "Christine"

Tags: