Author Topic: Which shocks?  (Read 4171 times)

Offline rastafoo

• LoveMyBus SuperSecret Agent
Which shocks?
« on: May 21, 2008, 03:30:06 AM »
I'm about ready to look for shocks for Janis. Does anyone have a recommendation? I think I want to go with a not-to-aggressive gas shock, but don't want to pay $70-$100 @.
"spirit is the journey, body is the bus"

Offline Fastmc25

• King of the Road
Re: Which shocks?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2008, 06:08:27 AM »
http://www.mamotorworks.com/acvw-5-176-4792.html

If you want a less aggressive "Gas Shock "  I'd go with the GR-2 KYB's........ they are usually cheaper and still work well.... thumb2

I prefer the regular White KYB's for stability of a heavier vehicle.......... but i run the GR-2's on my bug .......... thumb1
"I spent the first 20 years of my life trying to bag some weed....... and now the rest of my life ....just bagging weeds......"

Peace,
Paul @ http://Lovemybus.com
www.arklatexvwclub.com

1973 Adventurewagen  2.8L            "Clyde"
1961 Deluxe Beetle "ALA...Original"   "Christine"

Offline bus71

• LoveMyBus Member
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2008, 10:55:31 PM »
A   good    set    up    for   a    bus   is   the   grey KYB   GR2s   on   the   front    and    the    white  Gasadjust  on   the   rear.   A    bit   more  stabil   but   doesn't    ride   too   stiff.   I    have   run    this   combo    with   8ply   tires   for   a   long   time   and   am  satisfied   with   ride  and   handling.   :p14:
"Fixing  old  crap  since  1965"

Offline rastafoo

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2008, 05:17:56 AM »
Soooo...are the white 'Gas-a-shocks' just the 'Gas-a-just-shocks' without the adjustment option? If you click on the pics they look different. And are they heavier duty than the GR-2's?
I'll spring the xtra $50 for the white ones all around, I just don't want a hard, jarring ride - but right now I lean quite a bit going around corners and it bounces 2wice when I push down on the bumper and release.
 :102:
"spirit is the journey, body is the bus"

Offline Fastmc25

• King of the Road
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2008, 06:14:10 AM »
GR-2's are the softer ride shocks.... the White KYB's are the more aggressive ones.... thumb1
"I spent the first 20 years of my life trying to bag some weed....... and now the rest of my life ....just bagging weeds......"

Peace,
Paul @ http://Lovemybus.com
www.arklatexvwclub.com

1973 Adventurewagen  2.8L            "Clyde"
1961 Deluxe Beetle "ALA...Original"   "Christine"

Offline puregravy

• LoveMyBus Recruit
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2008, 08:20:53 PM »
Hey I joined a group in the Pacific Northwest today called wetwesties, a yahoo user group. I posted in it that I was thinking of replacing my KYB's. A fellow there said KYB's were know as Kill Your Butt. Two other types were noted as being good as well, Bilsteins and Konis. I had a quick look online they look WAY more pricey than the KYB's ... anyone have any experience with the either of the Bils or Konis brands? I am going to sniff around more next week. They seem to have limited availability up here in the frozen north  8)
No matter where you go, there you are...

Offline vdubyah73

• LoveMyBus Elite Radical
  • CHANGE THOSE FUEL LINES, ALL OF THEM.
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2008, 03:23:35 AM »
Napa auto parts carries Boge, Cofap, Monroe and KYB. The Napa's here on the cape either have them or can get them. Usually the next day, sometimes that afternoon.

CHANGE THOSE FUEL LINES, ALL OF THEM. See avatar

http://Http://bustersbestsandwiches.com

Tags: