Author Topic: Windshield  (Read 6671 times)

Offline rastafoo

• LoveMyBus SuperSecret Agent
Windshield
« on: April 06, 2008, 01:02:54 PM »
I guess things were going too well, I should have been prepared...
Yesterday I decided to change the rubber windshield seal - I didn't know it was going to rain ALL day and night. I popped it out, found nothing like the nightmare I thought I would, cleaned up the rust, primed and then DOWNPOUR!! During a lull a friend and I endevored to slip the thing back in.....CRACK.....son-of-a........
I hear the state of Florida requires all cracked windshields to be fixed via the car insurance companies, gratis.
The windshield did have 3 or 4 chips and bullseyes before the incident - in fact it cracked along and thru one of them (a foot long). I'm holding off on trying to put it in anyway, I want the glass co. they use to use my german rubber, not a cheaper mex. brand where they get it from.
More on the saga later after I call Progressive......
............will Janis ever have a windshield again?.....will her owner drive her anyway?......will the glass installers break THEIR pane?......stay tuned for the exciting conclusion of "the wayward pane - a tragedy"..........................
"spirit is the journey, body is the bus"

Offline GostaBerling

• LMBarchaeologist- I dig your bus!!!
Re: Windshield
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2008, 01:17:30 PM »
 :043:  (not laughing at the cracked windshield but at the soap opera ending.)

Check out Willy's blog: Life and Adventures of a bus named Willoughby

http://willoughbus.wordpress.com/

Life isn't about waiting for the Storm to pass... It's about learning to Dance in the rain!

Offline Happy

• LoveMyBus Elite Radical
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2008, 02:11:48 PM »
I bought new rubber when I bought Betty but have not had the guts to tackle it.  Betty's windshield is original I think...because of the milking around the edges.  I would be scared to have a pro do it...unless I had a new windshield handy as a replacement.

Good luck with it.  Buses are like soap operas...exciting...the problem always gets fixed...but then there is another exciting problem to tackle right behind it  :p14: .

Offline itlives

• LoveMyBus Radical
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2008, 05:06:30 PM »
After I fixed this ( with new metal),

it came out pretty good- although, the pic looks better than real life

My wife and I broke the old windshield. Just as well, we found "Glassmasters" they came to my place of work and installed a new PPG glass (with my Bus Depot rubber) for $157
 That was the reason I posted. I don't know if you have a Glassmasters down there , but I would go to them if you do.

We are currently replacing the top canvas.
"A little knowledge is a dangerous thing"
I'm a very dangerous person!

Offline rastafoo

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2008, 05:50:10 PM »
Great pics! Like I said, I'll be calling Progressive tomorrow - friends have assured me it's free as long as you use one of thier glass companies. Hopefully glass masters is one of them. I have repaired the holy bits (weren't as bad as yours were) with a bit of bondo - I know, bad bus owner, bad!- after treating the rust. Just don't have a pic yet of the "ready-to-go" finished painted surface.

Offline itlives

• LoveMyBus Radical
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2008, 06:30:56 PM »
I found out with my bug, if the holes are small and you treat the rust properly, you can use Master Series Silver on it and it , then some filler and it will be just fine. Worry not my friend! there are always other ways.

The bit of info about Glassmasters was more for those of us that don't have insurance (that will cover glass).

Offline GostaBerling

• LMBarchaeologist- I dig your bus!!!
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2008, 07:14:31 PM »
Just a side note. For those of us without the knowledge or means to weld, for small holes you can place a penny on the backside and use solder to fill the holes. After the solder has cooled you can remove the penny, and sand/grind it down.
Check out Willy's blog: Life and Adventures of a bus named Willoughby

http://willoughbus.wordpress.com/

Life isn't about waiting for the Storm to pass... It's about learning to Dance in the rain!

Offline rastafoo

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2008, 04:08:19 PM »
Ok, so my wonderful, darling wife got basic liability for Janis instead of comprehensive.....long story short, I will be paying for the windshield. I set it up for $185 total with Safelite auto glass. They came out and put in the windstar's shield for free(comprehensive), then to my work for the bus.
  Now I realize I have some bad luck, but I'm on a streak here.....the new, slightly tinted windshield was just refusing to go in smoothly - the glass pro asks me to help. He's slapping the piss out of the thing to get it to seat right, goes inside the cab and tells me to slap it a few times like he did. "Smack it like you'd slap your old lady (wink, nudge)" were his exact words. So I timidly smack it a few times. I didn't realize I had so much pent up aggression towards the 'hater of my Janis' and ,of course, the windshield cracks from top to bottom in 3 places about 1/2 inch total width apart!
 He calls his buddy and they manage to get my original single crack windshield back in till they can get another one in on thursday or friday. The guy was decent though, and told everyone he was talking to that HE broke it instead of me (around me anyway). Didn't pay yet of course, and they will do whatever it takes to get it done right - they said. Untill next time..........

Offline rastafoo

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2008, 07:08:50 PM »
Update: Janis got the new windshield last thursday - its a tinted one with a dark band on top fading to lighter. It's really subtle, looks nicer than I thought it would. The safelite autoglass guys were paranoid, they took a loooong time and sealed up all around with black auto glass adhesive - no more leaks! I'll get a pic soon. :eusa_dance:

Offline Fastmc25

• King of the Road
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2008, 04:53:11 AM »
Congrats on the new windshield.........  thumb1

That is usually the one part i hate doing cause i've broken a few........doesn't take much pressure to ruin your day......... :eek:

Now you can concentrate on other parts of Janis without getting your knees wet...... lol
"I spent the first 20 years of my life trying to bag some weed....... and now the rest of my life ....just bagging weeds......"

Peace,
Paul @ http://Lovemybus.com
www.arklatexvwclub.com

1973 Adventurewagen  2.8L            "Clyde"
1961 Deluxe Beetle "ALA...Original"   "Christine"

Offline itlives

• LoveMyBus Radical
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2008, 06:28:47 AM »
Nothing like a new windshield!!
 fastmc has the one with the shade on top. It looks great!

Offline sisterearth

• OneLoveOneWorld
  • Global Moderator
  • in each of us there's a little of all of us
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2008, 10:07:28 AM »
wow what a story! Man glad you got the windshield in!  :)
  • Uncle Irie-1973
you are beautiful

Offline kurtjohnson101

• LoveMyBus Newbie
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2008, 01:47:40 PM »
how hard is it to change a windshield on 74 bus

Offline itlives

• LoveMyBus Radical
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2008, 03:35:44 PM »
Personally, I would pay someone.

Offline rastafoo

« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2008, 06:32:14 PM »
Definatly pay someone - use a big nat'l company as they can get a bus windshield. New bus windshields have some sort of tint, either a band on top and fairly clear, or a nice tinted fade (darker on top fading to lighter.)
I believe I used safelite autoglass and they cracked a new one but got it on the 2nd try. It is very dodgy, a tight fit and squirrelly - I replaced and installed new rubber on all the other windows of my '73 without a problem, but the windshield is a different beast. I think I paid $185 for the glass and install total.

Tags: