Author Topic: 930 Cv joint conversion ......on a bus...  (Read 12610 times)

Offline Fastmc25

• LoveMyBus SuperSecret Agent
  • King of the Road
930 Cv joint conversion ......on a bus...
« on: February 19, 2008, 06:29:58 AM »
Some useful info if you plan to do rear suspension mods..........

I originally had 100mm Type 4 offroad CV joints and longer Chromoly axles on the bus project but after several trips around the block i was noticing the joints were clicking.......... More like Clydesdales trotting... :eek:...which meant the angle on the joint was exceeded........not good..... The axles were at 22 degrees....... so i had to decide on going another way..........930 Porsche cv's are 108mm which are good to 28 degrees when race prepped....... :Drogar-Thinking(LBG):

Recieved all my 930 Cv goodies Friday but the rain slowed me down a bit....... Now the bus won't fit in the shop all work is outside......  Kind of sucks....  :Doh:

I started the conversion by removing all previously installed Cv's and stubs...... First i needed to fit the new stubs and check for clearance problems since they were bigger.......... WHA- LA---..  :Doh: .. Ask and Ye shall recieve........There were clearance problems.......The stub axles CV Flange wouldn't fit in the CV recess on the trailing arm housing.

I had to get a new burr for my die grinder and get to work.......... I had to remove about 1/8" of metal so the stub CV flange would clear........ repacked the bearings and installed the stubs for the final check.......... Now they rotate and are fully seated and torqued........ 

I assembled the new CV's to the new axles and prepped them for installation... I had ordered race prepped 930 CV's since they will handle greater angles than the standard 930's...... These suckers are loose.... Anyway... all went together with no problems ...... I am only waiting for my rear wheel cylinders to come in then i will assemble for the test run........... 

Right now with the bus on it's limit stop the CV's are at 26 degrees........ this angle will decrease when on the ground to about 21-22 degrees....depending on the load.......... ;D

These 930 race prepped are said to be good to 28 degrees if "Clocked" Properly......... Which i did during assembly......  ;D
"I spent the first 20 years of my life trying to bag some weed....... and now the rest of my life ....just bagging weeds......"

Peace,
Paul @ http://Lovemybus.com
www.arklatexvwclub.com

1973 Adventurewagen  2.8L            "Clyde"
1961 Deluxe Beetle "ALA...Original"   "Christine"

Offline Happy

• LoveMyBus Elite Radical
Re: 930 Cv joint conversion ......on a bus...
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2008, 12:41:46 PM »
It's hard to believe that they work at such an angle.

I want to repack mine...that's the only MOD I am willing to attempt at my stage of Bus knowledge.  I simply don't know when they were packed last and they are working so well...so it's best to take care of them.

Look out for a thread from me as I tend to get skittish and want advice when something looks amiss.

Offline Fastmc25

• King of the Road
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2008, 01:24:18 PM »
It's hard to believe that they work at such an angle.

They don't like much more than that angle ... that's without weight on the bus so it won't be that severe.......I don't like having to go this much but it's the price i pay for not being stock........ :)
"I spent the first 20 years of my life trying to bag some weed....... and now the rest of my life ....just bagging weeds......"

Peace,
www.arklatexvwclub.com

Offline wobbebus

• LoveMyBus Member
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2008, 03:07:23 PM »
I truly never thought about lifting the bus. :eusa_think: nop I already have the Jeep and truck lifted. the wife would be piss if i did it to the bus! :eusa_shifty:

Offline Fastmc25

• King of the Road
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2008, 04:17:38 PM »
I truly never thought about lifting the bus. :eusa_think: nop I already have the Jeep and truck lifted. the wife would be piss if i did it to the bus! :eusa_shifty:

Yeah it's a lengthy process that i won't do again............... but like i got started and it snowballed........first i wanted to try the V6 thing...... then i needed larger rear tires to help with gearing changes........... then i needed to enlarge the rear wheel wells for larger tires.......... then it wouldn't look right unless the front was raised........and so on................ I think it's gonna be cool when done........ and since i don't "Jerry rig" stuff i build......... I modify........  :043: it will be right when finished........ 8)

More fun....... :eek:

Peace,
www.arklatexvwclub.com

Offline itlives

• LoveMyBus Radical
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2008, 04:34:54 PM »
7. jerry-rig  38 up, 11 down 

To fix or put together using non-standard or improvised materials. A derivation of jury-rig, from the nautical term jury mast. This term refers to a temporary mast raised when the normal mast has been lost due to storm or battle. This is probably a short form of injury mast.
Not to be confused with Jerry-built, which refers to an original construction of poor quality.

"Jim jerry-rigged his carburetor open with a paper clip and some aluminum foil"

This is from the Urban Dictionary on line.
It had some other more "racy" explanations too!

I can tell you all ( yes, that's southern for all ya'll) , Paul is not one to "jerry -rig" anything.
"A little knowledge is a dangerous thing"
I'm a very dangerous person!

Offline GostaBerling

• LMBarchaeologist- I dig your bus!!!
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2008, 04:43:44 PM »
from looking at the build on his bus I'd say not. thumb1
Check out Willy's blog: Life and Adventures of a bus named Willoughby

http://willoughbus.wordpress.com/

Life isn't about waiting for the Storm to pass... It's about learning to Dance in the rain!

Offline itlives

• LoveMyBus Radical
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2008, 04:50:55 PM »
He's a good guy to have in our club ( actually, one of the founders).
Always ready to help.

Paul , did I mention I need some help putting tin cooling tins back on my bus motor - :teeth:

Offline Fastmc25

• King of the Road
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2008, 05:11:20 PM »

Paul , did I mention I need some help putting tin cooling tins back on my bus motor - :teeth:

Call me................Have tools.......... will travel........... :cheers:

I actually took "Clyde" around the block today............. No Bad sounds........ He sure is strong.....I had a buddy test drive it to just to get his opinion and watching him drive past...... it really looks funny......... tall and skinny.... from afar...... lol      Russ said he loved it...... smooth and fast....... thumb1

Peace,
www.arklatexvwclub.com

Offline itlives

• LoveMyBus Radical
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2008, 06:43:40 PM »
Man , that's good news!!
 Now I need to get the party pumpkin going and put it's camping stuff back in!!
 I've got to be in the woods before it starts getting hot down here or my wife will make me take some other vehicle I don't want.

Offline Fastmc25

• King of the Road
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2008, 06:52:25 PM »
Yeah i did all new rear brakes too......

Next i guess i need to get back on the interior........... bleed the cooling system...... :p11:..... get tags and insurance....... and drive......... :BanDance: :nana:....... I found a 12v microwave i'm bidding on right now..... hope to win it....  :001:

Peace,
www.arklatexvwclub.com

Offline Dj:Eep

• LMB Resident DJ/WiseAss
  • Global Moderator
  • I think I brained my damage.
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2008, 11:41:11 PM »
How's he gonna corner?  Worried about corner lean?
DjEep goes "bump" in the night.

Offline Fastmc25

• King of the Road
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2008, 05:34:58 AM »
he's not top heavy...... the roof is only 80 lbs which is very close to the all metal that was removed to install it........the front and rear track widths were increased by 5"........... It corners fine....... it just won't like side wind i bet...........head winds no problem..... ;D

I hope next week I will be testing on the highway..
 :bangyourhead:

Peace,
www.arklatexvwclub.com

Offline wobbebus

• LoveMyBus Member
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2008, 10:17:25 AM »
I showed the pics. of "Clyde" to my wife, Se still says NO! :eusa_snooty:

Offline Fastmc25

• King of the Road
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2008, 10:25:36 AM »
 :eusa_dance: :LMAO:

I don't ask.....

Mine actually is excited about it.......... I told her mechanics and body are mine and she can have the inside...... :eek:  I see Paisleys........ :eek:

Peace,
www.arklatexvwclub.com

Tags: