Author Topic: So is it true that.....  (Read 5100 times)

Offline WestyStevie

• LoveMyBus Recruit
So is it true that.....
« on: January 14, 2008, 05:07:04 PM »
You don't need clutch for third and fourth and thus really could roll downhill and get going without a clutch?  And is it true for all years?

VW newbie getting my feet wet...

Offline vdubyah73

• LoveMyBus Elite Radical
  • CHANGE THOSE FUEL LINES, ALL OF THEM.
Re: So is it true that.....
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2008, 05:33:37 PM »
With practice, you could have made the trip in the movie without even pushing it to start it.

Bill
CHANGE THOSE FUEL LINES, ALL OF THEM. See avatar

http://Http://bustersbestsandwiches.com

Offline Dj:Eep

• LMB Resident DJ/WiseAss
  • Global Moderator
  • LoveMyBus SuperSecret Agent
  • I think I brained my damage.
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2008, 09:02:40 PM »
like bill says, it true for all gears.  As long as you have the engine rpm synced with the transmission rpm, it should slide in like butta (well, sometimes "crunchy" butta).

Meaning, listen to the engine when it's in gear and look at the speedometer.  With practice, you can learn to judge what speed the engine wants to be turning at any given speed in any given gear.  Then, with the transmission in neutral, you can use the gas pedal to bring the engine speed in time with the gear speed before going for the shift.

And if you have a good battery and starter, you can start the bus in first gear, lurch off and go from there, so long as the road's fairly flat or downhill.  Good to know when you clutch cable snaps in the rain a mile from home.  Or 500 miles, if it's mostly hiway.
DjEep goes "bump" in the night.

Offline GostaBerling

• LMBarchaeologist- I dig your bus!!!
  • LoveMyBus SuperSecret Agent
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2008, 09:20:17 PM »
like bill says, it true for all gears.  As long as you have the engine rpm synced with the transmission rpm, it should slide in like butta (well, sometimes "crunchy" butta).

Is that like Peanut butter? :ummmmm:
Check out Willy's blog: Life and Adventures of a bus named Willoughby

http://willoughbus.wordpress.com/

Life isn't about waiting for the Storm to pass... It's about learning to Dance in the rain!

Tags: