Author Topic: Ground Strap?  (Read 2008 times)

Offline thehive

• LoveMyBus Newbie
  • Long Live the Vw's...
Ground Strap?
« on: July 14, 2016, 07:01:35 PM »
I have a 1979 VW Van.  I recently dropped the engine and changed out a damaged cylinder head and re-installed.  I got her to run briefly, but then she stopped.  Since then I've had issues.  My starter wasn't the greatest, so I had it rebuilt and reinstalled. 

When investigating the transmission ground strap, I snapped the bold on the frame, and now have a broken ground strap.

Does anyone have any experience hot wiring a ground strap to get the electrics temporarily working?

I'd appreciate any advice.

Thanks,

Paul
1979 VW Westfalia
Toronto, Ontario
  • 1979 Westfalia

Offline TexasAirCooler

• Global Moderator
  • LoveMyBus Elite Radical
Re: Ground Strap?
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2016, 03:51:44 AM »
I've used a electrical cord off a old drill that wasn't any good. I cut two lengths and stripped the insulation back 2 inches on each end. Twisted all the wires together, used a flat washers to help hold them until I could get another cable.

I also as a habit, run my ground from the battery to the engine. I found that helps prevent burning out starters.

Good luck!
Terry

'65 bus

TexasAirCoolers

Offline thehive

• LoveMyBus Newbie
  • Long Live the Vw's...
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2016, 04:07:23 PM »
Thanks Terry,

I'll give a version of this a try. 

When you run a ground from the battery to the engine, where do you attach?  Also, where did you attach the electrical cable?  Did you simply replace the ground strap with the electrical cord?

Many thanks.

Paul
  • 1979 Westfalia

Offline TexasAirCooler

• Global Moderator
  • LoveMyBus Elite Radical
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2016, 11:17:14 AM »
It was a earlier model bus with a T1 motor, I attached the ground cable to the alternator base. Any place where you can secure it to the main engine case will work.

The ground strap was on a bug and yes, I replace the ground strap with the electrical cords same location. When I replaced the temp fix I also ran a negative cable from the battery to the ground strap for a better connection.
Terry

'65 bus

TexasAirCoolers

Tags: