Author Topic: Do your bus a favor, ditch that 009.  (Read 36780 times)

Offline Dj:Eep

• LMB Resident DJ/WiseAss
  • Global Moderator
  • LoveMyBus SuperSecret Agent
  • I think I brained my damage.
Do your bus a favor, ditch that 009.
« on: January 29, 2007, 11:10:43 AM »
I'm making this a sticky, because no bus should suffer a 009 longer than it has to.

I've been badmouthing the 009 distributor for a while now, but just the other day I finally got my much ballyhooed AirCooled.net SVDA to slap on Geri Lou. 

Man is it night and day!  I am in no way associated with AirCooled.net, but you have to buy one!  At least find a proper stock distributor. 

After running the 009 for a year and switching to the SVDA, I noticed that she runs waaaaay smoother.  Engine vibration is minimized, gas mileage is up, temps are down, lowend torque is there, idle is healthier, etc.  Take it from a guy who lives and drives in the San Francisco hills, where lowend torque and gas mileage are quite important.

Just do it, you'll thank yourself later.  It will pay for itself in gas savings alone, not to mention wear'n'tear.

How do I tell what dizzy I have?

The 009 has only a condensor on the outside of it.  And the numbers on the side are something like XXX-XXX-009.

A Vac-Advance has a big vacuum pot on the side like this:

What is the Difference Between a 009 and a Vacuum Advance Distributor?

It is all in the advance mechanism.

Well, a 009 advances the spark by means of weights that spin outward through centrifugal force as engine RPMs increase.
This is an OK method in a light vehicle like a bug, that jumps right through the lower RPMs anyway.  But in a heavy vehicle like a bus, it forces you to power through the low RPMs by filling the cylinders with fuel through the flooring of the accelerator.  This wastes gas, causes increased wear, and rougher running, in addition to the flat spot in acceleration.

A Single Vacuum Dual Advance (SVDA) distributor advances the spark just like a 009 (it is basically a 009, with a vacuum pot added).  But it is the vacuum can than makes it "special."  You hook it into a vacuum port on the carb, which pulls vacuum from the time you first push the pedal until you reach half throttle.  This causes the spark to advance as soon as you push the throttle, instead of waiting for RPMs to build.

How does this help?  When you advance the spark in the lower RPMs and lower gears, you need to feed it less gas to get the same amount of power.  Instead of making a bigger explosion in the cylinder to build power, you use pressure and time.  The fuel combusts earlier, which, under full load conditions would cause detonation, but under light load conditions means that the combustion event has more time to build pressure in the cylinder.  More pressure = more power.  More power x less gas = more efficiency!
DjEep goes "bump" in the night.

Offline Collie

• LoveMyBus Member
Re: Do your bus a favor, ditch that 009.
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2007, 02:54:00 PM »
Good post, the 009 was NEVER meant for the type4 engine, it can work quite well on modified type1 engines with crazy cams and such, but a 009 will NEVER work well on a stock bus....

If you have one and want to claim different, I will be here to hear ya, but you better have a good argument....

I run a dead stock configuration with the only change being the Pertronix......screw points, its 2007

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2007, 09:03:06 AM »

Offline eMergenCy

• LoveMyBus Recruit
  • "puttputtputtputtputt"
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2007, 11:57:51 AM »
How on earth would I go about telling? The bus was my fathers so I realy have no clue what's in there...

Offline zozo

• LoveMyBus Elite Radical
  • O2BNAVW
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2007, 04:15:56 PM »
Don't throw them away.  Send them to me.  They work great in the old-school busses.

Offline westy6789

• It's not the destination, it's the gettin' there
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2007, 06:11:36 AM »
Forgive me if this is the wrong place to put this but I think it relates...

Four years ago, I just had a bone stock 36hp motor rebuilt with a full Judson super charger set up mounted by the engine builder in my one owner 1959 sunroof (see my gallery), I went to my distributor box and pulled out what I thought was a 009 to stick on it for it's test drive down I-35. Stuck it on and went down the road with my friend in his TDI new beetle.

He could not keep up with me as I hit 90mph, in the next micro second the engine made a funny noise
 and I turned it off.

Turns out I had grabbed a 030 dizzy, no advance stop so it just kept on advancing those weights until #3 piston melted. Ouch. The one and only time I wasted a motor in 30 yrs.

Immediately took it back and had it rebuilt again but this time I used the stock dizzy. Perfect, Bob is the same way, stock (mostly)
Bus Pilot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2007, 08:17:47 AM »
How on earth would I go about telling? The bus was my fathers so I realy have no clue what's in there...
I'll edit to orig post to say...

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2007, 08:31:12 AM »
Don't throw them away.  Send them to me.  They work great in the old-school busses.

Or just leave the clamp on it and points set, so if there is ever a dizzy problem on the road, you just swap it in and drive away, 009'ed but running.

Offline eMergenCy

• LoveMyBus Recruit
  • "puttputtputtputtputt"
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2007, 11:09:01 AM »
Thanks, Eep! It would appear that I've got a 009...

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2007, 11:17:36 AM »
Order an SVDA from Aircooled.net.  I don't know what overseas shipping on it costs, but your bus will love you for it.  And when you order, make sure to specify the carbs you have in the drop down menu, and in the additional comments section.

Offline eMergenCy

• LoveMyBus Recruit
  • "puttputtputtputtputt"
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2007, 02:32:59 PM »
Sorry, I'm not much of a mechanic... but was my 009 the bastard responsible for one of my pistons not firing yesterday? I had to take it to a mechanic and I saw him tinkering around with it back there before my bus was back to good health...

Also, you have to connect the SVDA to your carbie? what happens if you've got 2 carbies?

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2007, 08:54:46 PM »
could have been many things, but the 009 causes different problems.  You problem was probably due to old spark plugs/wires, points or the like.

Offline Bob

• LoveMyBus Member
  • Long Live the Vw's...
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2007, 06:42:54 PM »
the dizzy only needs vac from 1 source. Your carbs probably have a capped port on the bottom of the carb or on the manifold.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2007, 07:34:18 AM »
the dizzy only needs vac from 1 source.
Preferably you should take vac from both carbs, via a crossover tube of some sort.  Otherwise you get pulses in your vac signal due to the fact that it is only pulling vacuum for 2 cylinders.  1 carb will work, but not as well.
Your carbs probably have a capped port on the bottom of the carb or on the manifold.

The port you want should be ~level with or just above the throttle plate.  The port on the bottom is for retard, and pulls at idle.  No good, as the dizzy would be advanced at Idle and then retarded at throttle.  The port on the manifold is for brakes, and is always pulling vac.  Both ports will eat your engine if used on an SVDA.

Offline SILLYSTUNT

• sillystunt Customs
  • Restore & Explore
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2007, 08:58:48 AM »
Interesting... :Drogar-Thinking(LBG): I'm gonna check mine. My bus won't start anymore. It's not the carb of course but I believe the strater. I had some issues with the solienoid, ya spell check that baby. It has like on screw nad was rigged. Tightend up the screw , no worries. Now the bus will not start :p7: It has power to the radio and such so it isn't the battery, so must be the starter. It's probally due to be changed. It's the least we can do for here. Wish someone could change my starter but that would hurt :030:  The bum of it is . I just got my rack and other goodies for her and I can't enjoy them when she wont start :071: :074: :072: :027: :068: :021: :093: Can you feel my fustration
Offering Custom Caricatures, Logo's, Temporary Tattoo's and Face Painting

Tags: