Author Topic: How do I drive this thing?  (Read 45525 times)

Offline subaquaticbombshelter

• LoveMyBus Grunt
Re: How do I drive this thing?
« Reply #30 on: May 23, 2010, 09:51:31 AM »
Dumb questions from a newb....
 So would that apply for all years, varieties, etc?
If America could be, once again, a nation of self-reliant farmers, craftsmen, hunters, ranchers, and artists, then the rich would have little power to dominate others. Neither to serve nor to rule: That was the American dream. Edward Abbey (1927 - 1989)

Offline Dj:Eep

• LMB Resident DJ/WiseAss
  • Global Moderator
  • LoveMyBus SuperSecret Agent
  • I think I brained my damage.
« Reply #31 on: June 09, 2010, 06:44:28 PM »
give or take.
DjEep goes "bump" in the night.

Offline mark_the_singer

• LoveMyBus Recruit
« Reply #32 on: July 05, 2010, 04:24:14 AM »
Okay, so I can't seem to keep my bus in 4th. It makes a horrible grinding sound and pops out. I've been thinking I need to overhaul/rebuild the transmission but I need to get another few months out of my current one (bread is a little low). Is it okay to drive without 4th gear, especially if I'm hauling loads and not going on the highway?

Offline Dreads

• LoveMyBus Grunt
« Reply #33 on: July 05, 2010, 08:21:15 AM »
you'll be able to get by
but I wouldn't postpone getting
the trans replacement too much longer
slow and steady

Offline rastafoo

• LoveMyBus SuperSecret Agent
« Reply #34 on: July 21, 2010, 07:53:45 PM »
How's your shift coupling? (the u shaped junction of your shift rod and the trans nose cone) mine was visibly cracked and broken, not letting me get certain gears. I even tried to adjust the shifter at the floor in the bus - it's worth looking at anyway before pulling the trans.
"spirit is the journey, body is the bus"

Offline mark_the_singer

• LoveMyBus Recruit
« Reply #35 on: July 22, 2010, 03:43:31 AM »
Rastafoo, I'll have to check that coupling. I replaced my shifter up front in May and I've had to adjust the shift plate several times since. It likes to move around and block me from getting certain gears. Right now it's blocking third. I was going to either put the old shifter back on and/or put some lockwashers on the bolts so the plate stops moving. It's rather annoying. Are there any other bushings in the shift linkage (other than the easily replaced one up front) that could be causing this?

As for fourth gear, the reason I think it's going is because it pops out when you put any pressure on it. If I'm cruising down a hill in fourth, no problem, but the slightest uphill, ones that don't require downshifting, and it pops out. I'd taken care of it with a bungee cord for awhile (yes, I'm a bad person) but that doesn't really work anymore and I think that's why I had to replace my clutch. I'm still working on engine issues so I haven't time to worry about the tranny or drive the bus very far. I'm also in the middle of moving so things are busy. I need to drive her about two hours to our new place and then worry about it later.

Offline Beetle

• Global Moderator
  • LoveMyBus Radical
« Reply #36 on: July 22, 2010, 05:57:28 AM »
I'd be crawling underneath 'Daisy' and checking the coupler 'rastafoo' is talking about before you wind-up needing a new transmission.
Wouldn't be driving her like this!
 :)
Beetle
'69 Bus (Bessie)

Offline azbaywindow

• LoveMyBus Recruit
« Reply #37 on: May 31, 2011, 07:30:30 AM »
Very well written and some sound advice.  I was wondering since I'm a new Bay owner myself.  When I picked up my Bay I didn't want to push it so I took it easy on the 480 mile trek back home.  But after reading this Thread I realize I didn't push it hard enough and lugged the engine a bit.  But no more.  Thanks for the info.

Offline Nowgot

• LoveMyBus Recruit
  • Long Live the Vw's...
« Reply #38 on: February 01, 2012, 06:35:24 PM »
Get an idiot book and keep your long hair in check.  John Muir is watching you!
  • 1968 Velvet Green Tin Top Camper

Offline Johnk3611

• LoveMyBus Newbie
  • Long Live the Vw's...
« Reply #39 on: March 18, 2012, 08:00:24 AM »
I transformed my '60 section to IRS.... i put a 4:12 transaxle in it and it proved helpful well on the freeway..... 65-70 no issue visiting.....  It pulled getting off from a redlight after your used to having RGB's.

Offline giz59

• LoveMyBus Recruit
  • Long Live the Vw's...
« Reply #40 on: February 11, 2013, 11:50:03 AM »
Tell you guys, the po of my now bus fitted among other things a pair of twin dells, so one hot windless day on a flat road/motorway i floored the loud pedal !>>> tell you this >>>Very Scarey ! boy did that bus shift ,it was not quick "off the line" but it sure hit a very reasonable top end ! coupled to fact that running gear and all was standard ,inc. origional totally goosed steering box /dampers ,it was such that i would not touch the brake pedal and let her coast to a more sane speed >will not be doing that again in a hurry !
  • 1971 bay

Tags: faster!