Author Topic: preparing to replace clutch. any hints??  (Read 5081 times)

Offline haemish

• LoveMyBus Recruit
preparing to replace clutch. any hints??
« on: July 27, 2008, 10:51:01 AM »
Hi all,

I am looking at replacing my clutch on my 73 bus this summer. It is starting to slip a bit.... I have never had to drop the engine out of my bus in the 15yrs I've owned it, so this is new territory for me. I have my manuals and basic tool kit. Any thoughts of what I should put on my shopping list? If the clutch is starting to slip is there anything else I should do while the engine is out besides replace the clutch plate? 

thanks in advance for any suggestions! thumb7

cheers,

Offline vdubyah73

• LoveMyBus Elite Radical
  • CHANGE THOSE FUEL LINES, ALL OF THEM.
Re: preparing to replace clutch. any hints??
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2008, 01:57:51 PM »
replace everything. Throw out bearing, pressure plate, clutch disc and pilot bearing.
CHANGE THOSE FUEL LINES, ALL OF THEM. See avatar

http://Http://bustersbestsandwiches.com

Offline BusDriver

• LoveMyBus Member
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2008, 05:56:47 PM »
I'm having a problem shifting into reverse and 1st. I'm thinking that when I'm pressing the clutch it isn't fully disengaging from the drive. When I try to shift into reverse from being stopped all i get is grinding so i dont force it and stop the car, shift to reverse then start again. Also when I start with the clutch in and in 1st gear the bus will slightly rock forward also when in reverse I will slightly rock back. Shifting while moving goes smoothly while upshifting but down shifting is rather difficult. Usually when stopped I have to shift into 3rd, then out and into 1st, almost feels like 1st gear have moved to the right of where it used to be.

Are these the signs of needing a new clutch or just a cable adjustment?
Bringing back a 74 Westy after 3 years of sitting. Running strong after 92 days of LMB!
17MPG(I think) - 009 Dizzy, Electric Fuel Pump, Weber 32/36 DFAV carb, Short in some component in the 7th Fuse, rust, rust, rust.
All Awesome.

Offline vdubyah73

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2008, 07:39:12 PM »
Tighten the wing nut on the cable a couple turns. It doesn't take many, don't over do it. You should be able to push the clutch pedal just about an inch, no more, with your fingers before it gets hard to push.

Offline cwnation

• LoveMyBus Radical
  • Busses are cool
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2008, 08:58:33 AM »
i had a problem were it was difficult to tell if i was in 1st or 3rd, or either in 2nd or 4th. i just replaced the rear transmition bushing over the week end...was not to hard, now the bus shifts into each gear perfectly... :041:
Busses are cool.

Offline BusDriver

• LoveMyBus Member
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2008, 10:25:37 AM »
Tighten the wing nut on the cable a couple turns. It doesn't take many, don't over do it. You should be able to push the clutch pedal just about an inch, no more, with your fingers before it gets hard to push.

Wing nut is nearly as low as possible on the stud and seized, being loosened with some WD-40 right now. Travel with no resistance for clutch is 2".

Time to replace everything? (Throw out bearing, pressure plate, clutch disc and pilot bearing.)

P.S. Sorry for the thread hi-jack but I guess my symptoms will help someone else confirm they need a clutch replacement.
Bringing back a 74 Westy after 3 years of sitting. Running strong after 92 days of LMB!
17MPG(I think) - 009 Dizzy, Electric Fuel Pump, Weber 32/36 DFAV carb, Short in some component in the 7th Fuse, rust, rust, rust.
All Awesome.

Offline vdubyah73

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2008, 01:23:39 PM »
Might be time for a new clutch cable. Prolly fraying and stretching somewhere. Try adjusting first. the cable has flats on it just in front of the lever, put vise grips on it to hold from turning. use another small pair or small crescent wrench to grip the wing nut. If adjusting works for a bit and symptoms redevelop quickly it's the cable.

For more articulate help try searching thesamba.com or itinerant-air-cooled.com. Definitely try the search and watch you grammar/spelling on the first site. The second site is more forgiving.

Offline BusDriver

• LoveMyBus Member
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2008, 11:18:00 PM »
Tightening up about 3 turns did it. I was surprised to see that little of an adjustment took about an inch of play out of the clutch pedal. I thought the relationship would be a 1:1 between the wingnut travel and slop distance taken out of the clutch. I'll definitely be tracking my clutch slop so I dont experience the my symptoms any longer.

Thanks vdubyah.
All Awesome.

Offline vdubyah73

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2008, 05:17:44 PM »
More than welcome. The reason for the big change, little increment: look at the 2 levers one at the wing nut and the other at the pedal. Think levers and fulcrums.

Coilette

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2008, 05:31:30 PM »
as far as getting the engine out (and especially back in): it wont budge until you start to swear at it, then bust a knuckle.  :076:

I swear to god!! we've pulled our engine many times (and done wayyyy too many clutches) and it never fails! a straight from the heart tongue lashing+ a drop of blood = engine slides like butter  :019:
but dont let it scare you! show her who's boss!! and when you get frustrated, sit back and remind yourself of all the things she's done for you......  :flowersmile: good luck

Tags: